What's new

Besides Outlaw, is there an American made reciever (1 Viewer)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
he asked for receivers, not amps...

there are lots of other brands that make amps in america...such as BAT and Adcom...

Rich

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator

Well I asked, so I'll tell you.

I've decided that from now on I will buy American and British only when it comes to my home theater. Why? Because American industry is losing big bucks to China. I dont want to get too political, I just think Made in America sounds cool. I have pride in American competition. I'm not a xenophobe, I drive a European car and wear European clothing, I obviously will have to buy Asian DVD players and Video products (As Zenith is no longer US Made), that's fine. But if I can help out the U.S - I'm down.

I found the B&K AVR507 online for under $3000 which isn't bad at all.

Matt be sure to check this one out:

The ATI 7500

I cant post the link cuz I aint been a member long enough, but go to www . ati-amp . com and look it up.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

You might want to tell that to all of the American companies that are outsourcing their manufacturing, software engineering, and call center jobs overseas. I'm not trying to tell you that your principles are wrong, but "Made in America" certainly doesn't mean what it once did.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
What's wrong with Canadian stuff? Closing the door on all those great Canadian speakers and amps?!?!? Why for???

- Mike

francisco-a

Agent
Nobody makes better things than Germany and Japan. Are you going to say that a Mercedes made in the US is going to be sell in Germany?? Never. Im sure that there are a lot of good things that americans do very well (guns, bombs, Coca Cola) but IMHO Europeans and Japan are better manufacturers.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
So what cars are made in Detroit? Toyotas, Hondas are built in Kentucky/Tenesse/California primarely,not in Michigan.
My other hobby is motorcycles,and I must say that Harley Davidson is one of poorest excuse for modern day engineering/craftsmanship/part qualty,especially for the money they charge.[the V-Rod is mostly foreign design]Having said that it is the best selling bike brand in the USA,which telling me that many American's today shopping with their heart rather then with their vallet/brain.Now of course this doesn't mean that all American products are poor quality,not at all far from it,it just doesn't mean it's always better then the "competition".
I agree with the Doug,it doesn't mean what it used to mean.[Made In USA]

david stark

Second Unit

Well Arcam DVD players are designed and built in Britain.

As for the general argument of european stuff being generally better built, not always. The Italians have a poor reputation for build quality (fiat, ducati). The Germans do indeed have a very good reputation especially for cars (BMW, Mercedes, VW). As for the Brits, for some things yes - some higher end hi-fi, but then again some of the cars over recent history have not been good.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
You obviously haven't taken a look at the latest consumer reports rankings. VW is one of the worst for reliabilty. Audi isn't much better. Out of Germany, the only two car makers that have above average QC are BMW and Porsche. Mercedes is about average I'm afraid. Top of the list is Toyota/Lexus, followed very closely by Honda/Acura and Nissan/Infinity. The American car makers rank from average to poor. Hyundai was ranked higher then some German makers.

- Mike

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Oh yeah, as for build quality... Canada's Paradigm has some of the most impressive build qualities I've seen in any speaker. The old v2 Studio series were solid as a rock in the veneer finish. The new Signature series have that same solid feel to them. Then there's the Anthem pre-pro and amps. Very high quality. Canada's where it's at!!! :D

- Mike

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Canada has made some nice audio gear I will say that much.

From Anthem to Bryston to Classe to Paradigm to a few other manufacturers whose names I forget. I wouldn't blindly ignore their products.

StevenK

Second Unit
Please don't compare cars to audio...total apples to oranges comparison.

BTW, I would drive a Chevy over a VW any day. It'd last me twice as long and cost me half as much :D

Of course, I'd choose a Hyundai over either of those cars.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
The German Cars only have the reputation of being high end
in the United States and outside of Germany.

It's so funny to me how if you own a Mercedes or BMW in
America you "did the right thing" all that good /

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
B&K and similar products are designed and built in the US. But remember, not all their internal components are necessarily manufactured here.
As far as vehicles being built in the US by foreign companies, I am sure there are some trade-offs which does not necessarily mean they can not put together a quality automobile. What is does mean is the vehicle is comprised of parts made in various parts of the world, including the US. There are no 'pure' products anymore, at least not in regards to more complex merchandise such as automobiles and electronics.
By the same token, there are Class A production facilities in countries like China, that are owned outright by US, German, Japanese, etc., firms that put out high end electronics on a daily basis. They are extremely well managed to ensure all the steps are taken to ensure no lapse in quality control.
You can build anything and make it good or bad, no matter where on the planet you decide to do it.
Sure, if having it built here makes you feel you are supporting more american workers, then go for it. But if you try to buy something because it's 'pure american' inside and out, be forewarned, it may not be what you think it is.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Actually, some of them are (maybe not Germany), as well as some Toyotas and Hondas that are built (assembled) here.

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
It's impossible buy a 100% American product anymore, and what I mean by this is every single part of the product was designed and built by Americans all the way down to the raw materials, it's not possible.
This is exactly right DaleBesh, every day we are getting closer and closer to a Global economy. In the future, whats good for "them", will be whats good for us. And on the flip side, whats bad for "them", will most certainly be bad for us. As products are made in more and more countries throughout the world, it wont matter what "country" you buy from, you will be supporting everyone. Admittedly this is a pretty optimistic veiw, and no matter how far down the road it is, its still the future. I like to support America too, but "buy American" means less and less everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks