Berkline 090s or 088s?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gary TP, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Gary TP

Gary TP Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

I'm looking at either the Berkline 090s or 088s in a
    4 seat side-by-side configuration - 14 feet back from a 106' screen...
    I'm undecided as to whether I want straight edge or wedges...
    The room is 16 feet wide.

How many feet do you usually allow for clearance on the sides of the seating between the edge of the seat and the side wall? Viewers will have to wall around the back of the couch since my entrance is in the rear, and i'll already have surrounds mounted at about 6' high on the side wall that come out a foot and a half....

You think 090's are going to be too big to use 4 seats? Should I look at the 88s instead....Part of me thinks the 090s are a better chair as far as comfort (i've only seen the 090s)...

2. Charles

Charles Agent

don't know the answer but my guess is between 30-36" minimum clearance for walk space. Also, you might ask if there is a dealer near you who has one of each to tryout. (I do agree that the 90s series looks more comfortable, they are also taller backs to provide support for head)

3. tom derby

tom derby Agent

i have the 88s and they are plenty comfortable.

4. DarrylR

DarrylR Auditioning

I've seen them both. They carry them at the Big Screen Store in my area. The 090's are much more comfortable then the 088's especially if you are over 5'9".

5. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

check out the 087 , 4 inches less in total width with both arms attached(only 1.5 seating area difference) when compared to the 099 line, adjustable head rest and Art Deco design.

6. Michael Merrell

Michael Merrell Stunt Coordinator

I had four 090 recliners in a wedge configuration in a 16'x14' room, along the 16' wall. I don't know that it would be a good fit if you had to pass on both sides. If the aisle was down one side, it would work.

http://www.llamalust.com/finishedtheater.htm

Not the best angle, but there was about a 18" on either side, if I recall correctly.

I'm 5'8", and about 185. I find the 090's to be far wider than I need. I'd gladly sacrifice a few inches off each chair in order to fit another.

--Mike

7. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

8. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Shawn,

what are the dimensions of your room?

9. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

23' x 14'

10. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

I am of the shorter variety. 5'5" and just ordered the 88's tried them both and felt the 90's made me feel like I was sitting in one of those oversized novelty chairs. The narrower width gave me the room to add one more seat. (5 total) And the lower back helps in not muffling the surrounds. As well as the chairs I'm replacing are standard height back of about 41" and pillowtop and everyone that would come over complained the top would force their head down and their chin into their chest.