Berkline 090 - vinyl or leather/vinyl combo

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rick Wilson, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson Stunt Coordinator

The 090's come in all vinyl or a leather/ vinyl combination. Does anyone have the all vinyl version? Do you wish you had gotten the leather ones? Why?

If you have the vinyl, is it holding up well and is it comfortable? All comments welcomed.

What is the difference betweem leather grade1 and grade2?

We have a quick decision to make.

Thanks
    Rick

2. Rick Wilson

The 090's come in all vinyl or a leather/ vinyl combination. Does anyone have the all vinyl version? Do you wish you had gotten the leather ones? Why?

If you have the vinyl, is it holding up well and is it comfortable? All comments welcomed.

What is the difference betweem leather grade1 and grade2?

We have a quick decision to make.

Thanks
    Rick

3. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

Don't ever buy all vinyl. It will make you sweat because it doesn't breath like leather does. Also, after time it will crack,check and peel which will look like crap. Buy the leather and you won't regret it. The leather will out last you. Not sure about the grade difference, but what i would tell you to get is which ever hide is a "corrected grain" leather. Also referred to as "pigmented". Very durable and more importantly more cleanable than the other so-called better grades or fancier hides. If you want to save money get the basic grade pigmented hide with a vinyl match on the sides and back.

Scott

4. Scott Tucker

Don't ever buy all vinyl. It will make you sweat because it doesn't breath like leather does. Also, after time it will crack,check and peel which will look like crap. Buy the leather and you won't regret it. The leather will out last you. Not sure about the grade difference, but what i would tell you to get is which ever hide is a "corrected grain" leather. Also referred to as "pigmented". Very durable and more importantly more cleanable than the other so-called better grades or fancier hides. If you want to save money get the basic grade pigmented hide with a vinyl match on the sides and back.

Scott

5. Rick Wilson

Thanks for your input. I thought there were problems with vinyl.

Rick

6. Rick Wilson

Thanks for your input. I thought there were problems with vinyl.

Rick

7. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have the microfiber covering on these chairs? I am told that it holds up very well over time and am considering that as an option versus leather. It costs about $200/seat less and still looks good enough for me...

8. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have the microfiber covering on these chairs? I am told that it holds up very well over time and am considering that as an option versus leather. It costs about $200/seat less and still looks good enough for me...

9. Scott Tucker

The new microfibers do hold up well, but the leather will last 5 times longer. Also, leather is easy to clean and maintain. Micofiber is good stuff though. Just stay away from vynil.
    Scott

10. Scott Tucker

The new microfibers do hold up well, but the leather will last 5 times longer. Also, leather is easy to clean and maintain. Micofiber is good stuff though. Just stay away from vynil.
    Scott

11. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Rick,
    I have the 99s and went with the leather option. The more expensive "glove" leather is actually thinner (less durable) because the top layers have been scraped off. The cheaper leather is more durable but is not as soft and can have some (visual) blemishes (barb wire, etc.). I got my set from leather-direct.com and was pleased with the price (50% less than the local stores)...

12. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Rick,
    I have the 99s and went with the leather option. The more expensive "glove" leather is actually thinner (less durable) because the top layers have been scraped off. The cheaper leather is more durable but is not as soft and can have some (visual) blemishes (barb wire, etc.). I got my set from leather-direct.com and was pleased with the price (50% less than the local stores)...

13. Scott Tucker

Actually, the more expensive hides are the ones that will show all of the natural markings of the animal. You will see insect bites, barb wire scratches etc. This is due to the fact that it is not a corrected grain leather. No sanding or buffing of the top grain. The less expensive hides have been sanded, buffed and are corrected and do not contain any markings except for the grain that has been embossed into the hide. Both types will last a very long time, but the top grain more expensive hides are hard to maintain and keep clean.

Scott

14. Scott Tucker

Actually, the more expensive hides are the ones that will show all of the natural markings of the animal. You will see insect bites, barb wire scratches etc. This is due to the fact that it is not a corrected grain leather. No sanding or buffing of the top grain. The less expensive hides have been sanded, buffed and are corrected and do not contain any markings except for the grain that has been embossed into the hide. Both types will last a very long time, but the top grain more expensive hides are hard to maintain and keep clean.

Scott