What's new

Bergman: MGM titles ("not anytime soon")... (1 Viewer)

Carrol

Agent
I wrote MGM about 2 weeks ago regarding a couple of Ingmar Bergman titles that they own that are probably their most prestigous.

This is the reply:

>

Not quite sure what to make of that. Probably means 'never'. (frown)

Thought I would mention it,
Carrol

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
A more optimistic view: the titles aren't far enough in the production process yet such that the customer service staff is aware of them, but they will come eventually. One can hope, right? :)

DJ

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Yes but Tartan has done such a great job on the r2's that MGM doesn't have much to bring to the table.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Carrol, trust me on this: in most companies the customer service people who interface with the customers are the very last to know something new is coming. It is usually done on purpose, so that a wrong word from a CS rep won't let the cat out of the bag before a "carefully crafted marketing campaign can be utilized to maximize interest". :)

Even for "it-doesn't-matter" releases, the habits and routine will be the same. Unless this CSR just happened to stumble across some extra info while talking to a budy in the cafeteria, expect that they don't have a clue what is coming, unless it has been announced already.

We at HTF tend to know things before they do! :D

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Carrol, just wondering which titles you inquired about. I'm sure Persona was one of them. Regards, Jim.

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator
Yes but Tartan has done such a great job on the r2's that MGM doesn't have much to bring to the table.
Tartan released Persona? I can't find it anywhere. This is the MGM release I continue to wait for. The laserdisc was nice, but previously cut footage was recently restored to the film for release in the U.S., and I continue to hope we'll see that on DVD.

-bf-

Carrol

Agent
I guess I should have mentioned the titles I inquired about. They were PERSONA and FANNY & ALEXANDER.

Yea, you guys are probably right that these will eventually make their way into the market.

I mean, they are finally getting around to SALAAM BOMBAY! finally, which I never thought would see a dvd release.

Here's to hoping...this and a RAGING BULL SE. :)

Carrol

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Wasn't Fanny and Alexander supposed to be out last year?

I could have sworn I read something about it at The Bits.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
No they haven't released Persona but it's on their list and we'll probably see it from them first.

Artificial Eye has already released the full 5 hour version of Fanny & Alexander. If and when MGM does theirs, it will be the much shorter theatrical version.

MGM also has the rights to Scenes From A Marriage, Hour of the Wolf, and possibly Shame.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Are there ANY Region 0/1 NTSC Ingmar Bergman DVDs besides those on Criterion? I've only recently discovered this astonishing director and hungry for more, more, more!

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I'll take the silence as a no :frowning:

Is it certain that the 5 hour F&A will never be released in the US? I don't have a region-free player, though I think there's supposed to be some way to modify my DVD-ROM.

Any word at all about upcoming Bergman discs? I'm really hooked.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Persona is a fave of mine too, unavailable in the UK on video, but I think Tartan are giving t a cinema re-release in Feb - restored print with additonal footage.

I'd hazard a guess it'll be on DVD via Tartan by July 2003 in UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks