BENSONS WORLD - Experiences?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Esten, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

Please post your experiences with Bensons World(www.bensonsworld.co.uk) here(particularly if you live in the US).I was wanting to order some stuff from there,but i would like to know if they're reliable.
    They have generally lower prices on R2 DVDs then other retailers and free shipping worldwide.So,thats what got me to ask.
    Thanks.[​IMG]

2. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

I have always found Benson's to be excellent, even if they are a bit slow to actually dispatch your order (the site says 5-7 days and they mean it). It takes less than a week to get to Australia, so I'd say the same sort of service would apply to the US. BTW, their "free shipping" is obtained by them not removing VAT from their orders. Sometimes, it is cheaper to go through www.amazon.co.uk, who do remove VAT but add shipping costs.

3. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...I beg to differ with you about BW not removing VAT - they MUST remove it for any articles shipped to countries that are not in the EU --- and they do for me - as, for that matter, do the Dutch, French, German, Italian and Spanish e-tailers that I order from (otherwise I would have to pay VAT twice: once in the country of origin, and again upon arrival in Switzerland)... compare the price for any DVD on, say, BlackStar or Amazon.uk, to the BW price - the latter is always lower [​IMG] - AND you pay no postage [​IMG] ... that's how it looks from where I sit, in any case...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

4. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...ok... I was wrong, wrong, wrong! [​IMG] ... sort of...
    Shrek
    - £17.99 at Blackstar
    - £17.99 at Amazon.uk
    - £18.99 at Benson's World
    ...BUT!!!... however... and yet... postage (airmail) from the UK to Switzerland is more than just £1.00, I'm sure, so with BW I'm still ahead of the game!...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

5. Chauncey

Chauncey Stunt Coordinator

I have ordered several DVDs from them with no problems. I would highly recommend them.

Good Luck,

6. Chad B.

Chad B. Second Unit

Bensons is the best R2 etailer I've dealt with. I've ordered from them several times and have had absolutely no problems. [​IMG]

7. Angsty

Angsty Stunt Coordinator

I had an excellent experience with Bensonsworld in December. Ordered Angel series 1 on 10 December and received it 5 working days later -> UK to Australia in 5 days during the Christmas mail rush.

I did NOT have the VAT deducted, but shipping was free.

Oh well - equal trade I guess

Angela

8. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

Benson's do not remove VAT from their orders, at least not those shipped to Australia. The prices charged on the web site are VAT inclusive. When asked why they don;t do this, the reason given by Benson's is that the VAT covers the cost of shipping to OS destinations. Amazon DO remove VAT, however, but also charge shipping. 8 time out of 10 Benson's are cheaper, though.

9. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Bensons is the best site I've found for ordering British DVDs and shipping to the US. I preordered Red, White, and Blue and received them in California two days after street date. They are also the only one of several British sites I've tried that has never screwed up an order by shipping the PAL VHS tape instead of the DVD. Amazon.co.uk still hasn't made good on one title that they screwed up. I agree with previous post that 8 out of 10 times they have the best overall shipped price to the US and great customer service. The worst thing they've done to me is delay one order while they waited for me to respond to their email asking me if I was sure I knew I was getting a PAL region 2 DVD that wouldn't play on most US systems, this despite having already placed several orders with them. The problem was with new software they were using. If that is the worst thing they ever do to me, I'll be extremely satisfied with their service.

10. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

When I placed my initial order with them they sent me an email to confirm that I do understand that these titles are Region 2 (mine being Region 1) and that they would be in PAL format. I replied to assure them that I do have a region-free player, and that my projector is PAL capable.
    But I thought that it was very considerate of them to do that. I'm 100% satisfied with them. [​IMG]

11. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

i hate them! I get an email response 20% of the time from customer service, and they're screwed up all 3 of my orders! consequently i never buy from them anymore. The site is not customer friendly either b/c it has no way to see if your order has shipped or whatever.[​IMG]

12. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies.[​IMG]

13. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

Got my first order from them today,no problem.They were very nice and friendly.

The website is a pain to use,though.

14. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

I've placed approx. 6-8 orders with them, and have never had a problem, other than the previously mentioned delay at times in actually sending your order out. They're my first choice when ordering UK R2 DVDs.

15. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

They're practically the only etailer I use for British DVDs. They do take awhile to ship but once I get the email saying the discs are on their way I usually receive them within just a few days.

16. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I just received my second order from them. I placed it on 1/20, changed it on 1/22, and it was shipped on 1/23. So far my experience with them has been pretty good. My first order did take a while to ship, but this one was pretty quick all things considered.