What's new

BenQ PB6100 only $800 CAD (1 Viewer)

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
hey all,
I am able to get this projector for 800 bucks canadian dollars and I was wondering how it is for quality and value. I want to be able to use it for whaching cable so the 4:3 aspectr ratio is just dandy. I'll also be using it for x-box, dvd and some vhs. At 800 dollars its the lowest priced projector i've ever seen!

thanks,

Jay

Brad E

Second Unit
I assume you are buying it from Futureshop, because I just saw the ad today myself.
If that's the case, buy it and try it out. Futrueshop has a 14 day return policy.

I did buy the 6100 a couple months back but returned it for a variety of reasons.
At that price though I think it is worth it.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jarett, did you read the review at Projectorcentral.com?
It will look very nice with DVD's, but you won't be happy with the picture with VHS and cable(assuming it's standard cable). It does not have the excellent Faroudja de-interlacer like the X1.

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the input,
I noticed some mention of rainbow problems in some reviews, is anyone familiar with this? I would find that a problem personaly. But either way a projector at 800 CAD is something to say, they're coming down in price quickly.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I've had this unit for 10 months and with a good dvd player it looks GREAT!

I noticed the odd rainbow at the beginning, but see none now.

The LG7832 for sale at 2001 for $199 is a great match to this projector. Most have the new software that won't let you upconvert over Component, but you can find the old software easily and it upconverts everything to 1080i

I almost picked up another projector just for the extra bulb, but I'm only at 540hrs so at this rate it will take me at least 3 years before I need to worry.

Brent

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the response...

With your experience how does regular cable look or xbox? Also, is it bright or do you have to have it very dark? Thanks,

Jay

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi Jay,

I've been looking at projetors for 2 years now. I finally had it narrowed down to 2-4 choices, the BenQ 6100/6200, or the Infocus X1/4805.

I was about to pull the trigger on an X1 refurb from Tigerdirect.ca at $943 CAD when I say the Futureshop ad for the BenQ 6100 at $800 CAD New with 3 year waranty!

Needless to say, I went to FS on Boxing Day and bought one of the 3 BenQ 6100's they had and love it. (The other 2 were picked up withing 15 minutes of the store opening!). I now have it mounted in my basement and have used it both with my X-Box (Halo 2 and Project Gotham 2 to see how it handles fast moving images at 80") and with my Panasonic F65 DVD player (having watched Finding Nemo (wow!), SWAT, and Star Wars episodes 4-6 already!). Both components feed into my Yamaha RX-V1400 which then feeds the projector, at the moment, with a 30' S-Video cable on a silver/grey screen. In both cases, the images are fantastic. I've tried the 6100 in both lighted and dark condidtions and though it's amazing in the dark, I found that it worked well (though not great) when all lights were on. I read that component video gave a much better picture so I gave it a try. Unfortunately, my only component video cable is only 6' long so I can't really compare fairly between the two. Initial observations seem to indicate the component video has sharper colours but I'm still very pleased with S-Video... maybe I'll spend the $$ in the new year to get 30' of component video cable.

Also, the 6100 does not come with the component video to vga port cable. Luckily I had one of those lying around from having borrowed a work projector in the past.

At $800 CAD for a new projector, I don't think you can go wrong. I don't see the rainbows with the 6100 (but have seen them with the work 3Com DLP projector).

Hope this review helps.

JB

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot that clears some things up!
When u say the component to VGA adapter are u saying that the benq doesn't have component inputs or does it? It looks like my best bet right now would be to invest in a av reciever as i am currently using stereo receievr but that review really helped. thanks

Jay

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The Benq only has composite-Svideo-VGA inputs. To get the best image buy a component to VGA adapter, should only be around $15.

this
is what you are looking for.

Brent

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
As Brent stated, the 6100 has a RCA Composite input (standard yellow input), an S-Video Input and a VGA input. You need to get a component to VGA adapter to use component video. I got mine at a local Radio Shack (call ahead, not all carry them).

Having an AV Receiver helps for swiching. Right now I have all video sources (X-Box, PS-2, DVD, VCR, Cable TV, Laser Disc) all running into my receiver which can upconvert/downconvert everything to either S-Video or Component Video so that I only have to run 1 cable to the projector and I also run 1 cable to a 20' TV. Also having 6.1 surround sound with an 80" screen is simply amazing. Next step is to get a bigger screen so I can pull back on the 6100's zoom and get something in the 100" range...

JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks