What's new

Benjamin Button (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I just finished watching the documentary on BD yesterday and all I can say is, wow! Excellent work, David.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
I finally got around to finishing the documentary last night, and I thought it was excellent. Very well put-together. I'm sure it isn't easy to make a doc that's longer than the film itself and keep it compelling the whole way through, but that's exactly what we have here. I'm very glad I picked up this set.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Also completed the documentary, and it was exceptional. Appreciate the work in getting a cross-section of the cast and crew. I can't wait to watch the film again after seeing your doc.

Setting the standard, as usual.

David Prior

Insider
Thank you for the kind and supportive words! It's very appreciated. This one meant a lot to me, and if that comes across, I'm gratified.

I think that's the best thing anyone who makes docs about movies can hope to hear. Thank you.

MohanShankar

Auditioning
Real Name
MohanShankar
ya its work and useful me...tnx
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Like everyone else, I think the movie is great and the commentary is very informative. I've only gone through disc one but whoever did the menus deserves a raise. I'm not normally a guy who agonizes over the menu or other trivial things about a relese but they're just beautiful.

I should be able to get through disc two this weekend.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
i just finished watching the documentary of b.b. and it was very entertaining, insightful and a perfect example how to do it right.

damn good job david
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
Well, that's a shame. I just bought the Warner BD (Australia), and while spec-wise it seems to be up to par with the Criterion version, and on first-glance the extras appear to be the same, it's missing the timeline feature. The HTF review makes it sound rather interesting, can anyone elaborate more on it?

So, after buying a Zodiac DC with lossy sound, and a Ben Button with missing features compared to the US, I'm just going to say "F--- you, Warners, f--- you." *sigh*

I look forward to hitting up your doco soon, David. I'm just going through Van Ling's T2 BD in preparation for the fourth film tomorrow.

edit scrap that, I take it all back. it's just a bookmark feature that has an index of the commentary details. it's 3am, and i misread what the HTF review said, and haven't bought a CC blu-ray yet.

Actually, wait, I don't take it all back. My Zodiac DC still has a lossy soundtrack on it's single disc. some of my comments at Warner still stand. ;)

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
I also, thanks to Criterion's region locks bought the Warner UK BRD.
How do you find putting out a disc for Criterion, vs. another company

David Prior

Insider

The truth is, as I think I mentioned elsewhere, Criterion came into this project very late, and to be quite honest had nothing to do with the content of the disc.

The whole experience has been a very interesting first-hand experience of just how powerful branding really is: the Blu-Ray and the DVD that came out a few months ago would have been EXACTLY the same if they didn't have that little stylized "C" in the upper left hand corner -- even down to the menus, which I did myself. But I don't think there has been one review that did not mention that the disc was "the usual high standard we've come to expect from Criterion" or that "Criterion has hit it out of the park again," or some variation thereof.

And don't misunderstand me -- I have a lot of admiration for Criterion's past work and I've based my own DVD work on the model they pioneered. When we brought them into this it was in the hope of providing a bit of cache. I just never predicted how overwhelmingly successful that hope would be.

But to answer your question, no different -- I was working for Paramount the whole time.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the Prompt answer, was it Fincher that wanted them involved after the Laserdisc's for Se7en and The Game ?

David Prior

Insider

That was certainly his exposure to them, but the idea of bringing them on to the project didn't happen until he and Cean ran into Pete Becker at the Toronto Film Festival. After the unceremonious way that the Zodiac special edition was dumped, the idea was that it might be harder to do the same with Button if the "C" was on the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks