What's new

Benefits of optical connection for PS2? (1 Viewer)

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
I have a DD/DTS reciever with only one optical input. It is currently occupied by my X-Box, which I also use as my DVD player.

Right now I'm using the regular composite connection on the receiver for my PS2. Is it worth it to spend the money on an optical switch and two more cables so I can have digital audio with the PS2 also? Will the only benefit be from the few PS2 games that have DTS in the cut scenes?

Thanks.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The only benefits are that the audio is going through the optical cable rather than the composites and that some games have DTS real-time. But, some games won't let the audio come out of the optical cable, so it's not really worth it if it means replacing the X-Box's connection.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I have yet to see a game that doesn't work with the audio coming out of the optical cable for my PS2. I'm using an Optical cable switch box so that I can use the optical cables for both my PS2 and Xbox.

Glen

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think PaRappa 2 doesn't work with the optical cable. There's another one, but I forget what it is.

James St

Supporting Actor
I noticed significantly improved audio when using optical versus analog. If you need a few more optical inputs you could try this

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the link James. :)
That's the exact device I'm using. In my complicated gaming setup along with my DVD player, I needed a device like that to open up more optical inputs on my stereo. It's worked flawlessly.
Glen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks