Benefit of 6.1 in my small room?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinO, Apr 6, 2002.

1. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Hi all, Don't know if this post belongs here or not, but here goes. I have a small dedicated HT that's about 13x10.5. My RPTV is along the long wall. I currently have a 5.1 setup, but am planning to upgrade my receiver to a Denon 2802, which is of course 6.1. My question is should I buy an additional rear speaker (I'm using the M&K k5s) or should I just stick with 5.1, given the size of my room. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    For the best sound, the rear center speakers should be at least a couple of feet back behind the listeners.

Usually it's better to have two rear center speakers because a single speaker can sometimes produce the audible illusion that its sounds are coming from in front.

I hope this helps a little.

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

If at all possible, reorient your setup so that the front speakers/tv are along the short wall, if only to take better advantage of the acoustic properties of your room. If that's possible, maybe then you can budget a few feet of space between your couch and the rear wall. If so, then I think you'd definitely benefit from 6.1. The effect isn't drastically different than 5.1, but I prefer it in almost all instances.

(EDIT: I use a single center-rear speaker, and have never experienced the problem Seldon describes).