Beneath The 12 Mile Reef ... Goodtimes version?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by soop.spoon, Jan 21, 2002.

1. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Has anyone seen the Goodtimes version of Beneath The 12 Mile Reef? I have the Lumnivision/Slingshot version but the transfer stinks. Seems like this old Fox title has fallen into the public domain.
    BTW... It's not a great movie, but the Herrmann score alone is worth the price of the disc.

2. John Koehler

John Koehler Stunt Coordinator

3. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Thanks, John... I ordered it last week! [​IMG]
    Also picked up Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Fantastic Voyage and Omega Man.
    Thank goodness for FilmScoreMonthly!

4. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Yes! The 12 Mile Reef disc from FSM is wonderful... another case of Herrmann saving a bad picture with a brilliant score.

5. John Koehler

John Koehler Stunt Coordinator

Always happy to assist Herrmann fans. The music is nothing less than awesome, and the treasures in real "reel" music at FSM are a goldmine. I say real because most filmscores today can't match the golden age (Goldsmith and Williams being notable exceptions who continue that tradition of musical depth, power and outright genius).
    A picture similar to ...Reef in that it was made better by a score from the hands of a genuine master was the sequel to The Robe, namely Demetrius and the Gladiators, music by Franz Waxman with some based on Alfred Newman's beautiful themes from the first picture. This was released by FSM last week. I have it playing now. The Temple of Isis scene is worthy of Herrmann, and worth the price of the disc. Here is a RealPlayer link to that cue:
    https://secure.filmscoremonthly.com/store/audio3/Demetrius14.ram