1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Is Back (2018)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Thomas T, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

[​IMG]
    Title: Ben Is Back (2018)

Genre: Drama

Director: Peter Hedges

Cast: Julia Roberts, Lucas Hedges, Kathryn Newton, Courtney B. Vance, Alexandra Park, Marquise Vilson, Teddy Cañez, Emily Cass McDonnell, Mia Fowler, Melissa van der Schyff, David Zaldivar, Jakari Fraser

Release Date:

Runtime: 98

Plot: 19 year-old Ben Burns unexpectedly returns home to his family's suburban home on Christmas Eve morning. Ben's mother, Holly, is relieved and welcoming but wary of her son staying clean. Over a turbulent 24 hours, new truths are revealed, and a mother's undying love for her son is tested as she does everything in her power to keep him safe.

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/492452-ben-is-back

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Back from a matinee screening. This is strong stuff and as cinema, superior to the recent Beautiful Boy which dealt with similar themes. That of a loving parent trying to save their drug addicted child. Beautiful Boy dealt with a father and son but here the focus is a mother (Julia Roberts) and son (Lucas Hedges). Ben Is Back has the advantage of focusing on a 24 hour period whereas Beautiful Boy spanned several years. Powerhouse performances by both actors and I loved how the director just ends the film rather than tying it up in a neat little ribbon.

benbess likes this.
  3. steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    Saw "Ben is Back" the other day and I was quite moved by it. The movie depicts an agonizing downward spiral of a young man addicted to "opioids" and the impact it has on the people around him. Julia Roberts is particularly effective as Ben's mother, as she oscillates between hope and despair but the rest of the cast is good as well. It's a coherent ensemble effort.

This is an "issue" movie, as the "opioid crisis" has been in the news lately, but it is not preachy or sensationalistic. I enjoyed it even as it also made me squirm.

benbess, Jeff Adkins and Thomas T like this.
  4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I've got to say I'm sure the actors are excellent in this, but the trailer just looks so depressing that I can't make myself want to sit through it.

Is it as hard to watch as the trailer makes it look?

5. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Well, it's about drug addiction so there's no way of making it a pleasant experience anyway you look at it. Certainly not as downbeat as, say, Requiem For A Dream (what could be?) but it's pretty exhausting emotionally.

Jake Lipson likes this.