Ben Casey

JustARandomStan

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Stan
Stan, the MOD releases are indicated in the product descriptions under Studio, at Amazon and other online sellers, as CBS HOME ENTERTAINMENT, CBS MOD, or CBSTV.

CBS/Paramount, controlled, pressed DVD TV and movie releases are listed, under Studio, as Paramount.

Amazon seems to have stopped using that "when purchased from Amazon this is a DVD-R" ,(whatever the exact wording was), in the product listings. It may mean that Amazon is getting the studio MODs from Allied Vaughn, now, instead of burning their own via their Create Space arm. Does the Amazon BEN CASEY have Create Space markings?

I see BEN CASEY is listed at DeepDiscount and OLDIES and some of the earlier CBS MOD releases, that had been exclusive to Amazon, like MOST WANTED, are available there too.
Thank you. When i looked at the Amazon listing it clearly stated CBS HOME ENTERTAINMENT under Studio. That's what got me thinking that it was a regular release and not a MOD one.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brad
Thank you. When i looked at the Amazon listing it clearly stated CBS HOME ENTERTAINMENT under Studio. That's what got me thinking that it was a regular release and not a MOD one.
If you look on Amazon, Ben Casey is listed as "Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc." This would appear to be the MOD service. Gunsmoke and Bonanza are "Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc.", which would indicate pressed disks.

jperez

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
jorge perez
By the way, Amazon has had available for years three Ben Casey DVD packages, with 20 episodes each, under the shady Collector Series umbrella.

Reactions: bmasters9

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
By the way, Amazon has had available for years three Ben Casey DVD packages, with 20 episodes each, under the shady Collector Series umbrella.
Why is that umbrella shady?

jperez

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
jorge perez
Well, all umbrellas are. Also, I understand it's not a legitimate release.

Sky King

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Those earlier (20 episode) Ben Casey DVDs sold on Amazon were sourced from TV broadcasts and from what I understand, were of poor quality.

Reactions: bmasters9

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
Those earlier (20 episode) Ben Casey DVDs sold on Amazon were sourced from TV broadcasts and from what I understand, were of poor quality.
That explains it.

Reactions: Sky King

County General

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike
Hi County General,

I was a subscriber to your YouTube site and was sorry to see it eliminated.
I looked forward to each release. I am glad however that CBS FINALLY saw the light and started releasing this show in DVD over here. I know that Ben Casey was very popular in Japan and that CBS had released a Ben Casey DVD.
Was the source of your video, the DVD set from Amazon Japan ?

John
My sources were the cheap DVD sets and my own VHS copies from the late 80's. As far as I know, the DVD set from Japan was dubbed in Japanese. I don't believe there was an English language option. Although from the brief clip I saw, the video quality of the Japanese sets are very good. Here's the link to the YT clip of the Japanese BC version.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Gary
Ben Casey volume 1 disc 3
Episode 9 - 47:33 (only cut episode so far—looks like something was cut at the start of chapter 4 since it’s an abrupt cut from black—also has the old open)
Episode 10 - 50:34
Episode 11 - 50:33
Episode 12 - 50:16

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brad
Episode 9 - 47:33 (only cut episode so far—looks like something was cut at the start of chapter 4 since it’s an abrupt cut from black—also has the old open)
Maybe someone with complete episodes and this set can compare episode 9 to see what was cut. It would be interesting to note if the cut was potentially motivated by a lack of music rights.

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
Maybe someone with complete episodes and this set can compare episode 9 to see what was cut. It would be interesting to note if the cut was potentially motivated by a lack of music rights.
That's what I'd like to know about that second-season episode of Riptide, "It's A Vial Sort of Business" (could that be the reason for the brevity?).

County General

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike
The version of episode 9 (My Good Friend Krikor) that I posted on my old YouTube channel is timed at 49:06 but it is WorldVision and could be timesped.

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Lee
Run times for disc one:
Episode 1: 50:27
Episode 2: 50:19
Episode 3: 50:30
Episode 4: 50:14
Maybe some slight editing was done with episodes 2 and 4 because they're a bit shorter than the other two episodes. Closing credits shortened perhaps?

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Lee
Ben Casey episode timings
Volume 1 Disc 2
Episode 5: 50:28
Episode 6: 50:01
Episode 7: 50:26
Episode 8: 50:05
Same thing here, maybe some slight editing was done with episodes 6 and 8 because they're a bit shorter than the other two episodes. Again, shortened closing credits perhaps?

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Lee
Uh oh, so one edited episode is confirmed so far, episode 9. Not good. Maybe a scene was deleted because of music?

Gary16

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Gary
Maybe some slight editing was done with episodes 2 and 4 because they're a bit shorter than the other two episodes. Closing credits shortened perhaps?
So far only episode 2 extends all the way thru the full credits including the thanks to the AMA. All the others dissolve to the CBS logo either before or right after the Bing Crosby logo but before the AMA thanks. There’s no consistency to how these were handled.

dstrong

Agent
Reaction score
Real Name
Damon
The version of episode 9 (My Good Friend Krikor) that I posted on my old YouTube channel is timed at 49:06 but it is WorldVision and could be timesped.
I have the same episode, but between all of the commercial breaks there is a total of at least 80 seconds of black screen, which would bring the actual running time to less than 48 minutes.

Neil Brock

Producer
Reaction score
I checked my, which were sourced off the Worldvision one-inch tapes, and it comes in at 47:38. My guess is that Worldvision inadvertently used a cut 35mm print as their source when their transfers were done some 40 years ago and the only way one might find an uncut version would be a 16mm print or if they could find someone who might have recorded the show off air in the late 70s, early 80s when it was still being syndicated on film.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Gary
Ben Casey S1V1 Disc Four
Episode 13 - 50:25 (no Bing or AMA logo)
Episode 14 - 50:30 (has the Bing logo but no AMA)
Episode 15 - 50:26 (no Bing or AMA)
Episode 16 - 50:28 (has Bing but no AMA)
On to S1V2.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynthia1