What's new

Ben Casey (2 Viewers)

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
This is encouraging. The CBS MOD DVDs for The Young Lawyers were unremastered, but uncut and watchable, so hoping they have full-length, un-sped versions of Ben Casey in the vaults.

This isn't a MOD release though, so the budget is probably higher, to allow for better care of the final product.

dstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Damon
Hopefully all five seasons get released, and it doesn't get abandoned like "Mr. Novak" seems to have been, or "The Eleventh Hour". Any word on the second seasons of those shows getting out soon?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
It seems to me that CBS DVD is taking a cue from Warner Archive because CBS is now also releasing DVD's of some older TV shows via the MOD method.

Hopefully, the season 1 Ben Casey episodes will all be complete, uncut and not time sped. I'll be curious to find out. My Three Sons seasons 3 and 4 are a disaster, with both sets having episodes that are edited or otherwise compromised in one form or another.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
It seems to me that CBS DVD is taking a cue from Warner Archive because CBS is now also releasing DVD's of some older TV shows via the MOD method.

Hopefully, the season 1 Ben Casey episodes will all be complete, uncut and not time sped. I'll be curious to find out. My Three Sons seasons 3 and 4 are a disaster, with both sets having episodes that are edited or otherwise compromised in one form or another.

I hope the same (complete, uncut) for the impending Our Miss Brooks release. A friend gave me some episodes of OMB he recorded off Me-TV and while they look gorgeous, they are sliced down to 21 minutes and change. I'll be bummed if CBS's mod release is the same. Fingers crossed for both Casey and Brooks to be full-length.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
The last time I saw episodes of Ben Casey was several years back, I think maybe it was the late 1970's, repeats of the episodes were being shown during the late night hours. I'm trying to recall which channel ran the episodes, I'm thinking it was NBC but I'm not sure anymore because it's been awhile.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Just watched episode one and two of Ben Casey. What a great series just as good as ever.

Episode 1: Looks very good overall. Slightly jumpy at times. I’ll assume these are the old transfers but complete.
Definitely not timesped.
Audio good but a little muffled or swimmy at times.
Bumper into the breaks are retained.
Full closing credits audio but the Bing Crosby logo is covered by the CBS distribution logo. Music continued to end.

Episode 2: Overall good but shakier video especially the closing credits. Good news is this one keeps the Crosby close including the ABC-AMA credit followed by the CBS credit. Not timesped.

I skimmed three and four. Three covers thr Crosby logo with CBS and fades the audio early. Four keeps the Crosby logo but not the ABC-AMA and fades the audio. So different people must have handled different episodes. Still happy to have this.

Run times for disc one:
Episode 1: 50:27
Episode 2: 50:19
Episode 3: 50:30
Episode 4: 50:14

One note — FYI the discs in my copy of volume one were out of order. Discs 2 and 4 on the left and 3 and 1 on the right.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Gary,

So none of the episodes you viewed so far have the Worldvision logo ?
I was wondering if the ABC-AMA credits would be included as they were for the most part when aired on CBN

John

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Gary,

I wonder if these are Worldvision prints with the logo deleted or prints CBS acquired from a different source.

John

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Just watched episode one and two of Ben Casey. What a great series just as good as ever.

Episode 1: Looks very good overall. Slightly jumpy at times. I’ll assume these are the old transfers but complete.
Definitely not timesped.
Full closing credits audio but the Bing Crosby logo is covered by the CBS distribution logo. Music continued to end.

Episode 2: Overall good but shakier video especially the closing credits. Good news is this one keeps the Crosby close including the ABC-AMA credit followed by the CBS credit. Not timesped.

I skimmed three and four. Three covers thr Crosby logo with CBS and fades the audio early. Four keeps the Crosby logo but not the ABC-AMA and fades the audio. So different people must have handled different episodes. Still happy to have this.

Run times for disc one:

One note — FYI the discs in my copy of volume one were out of order. Discs 2 and 4 on the left and 3 and 1 on the right.

Thanks a lot for the early dish on this set, Gary! Please let us know more as you continue on through the set...

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Definitely not timesped.

Run times for disc one:

Thanks so much for the early review, Gary. Much appreciated!!!

Gary "will definitely be picking this up when funds allow" O.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Ben Casey episode timings
Volume 1 Disc 2
Episode 5: 50:28
Episode 6: 50:01
Episode 7: 50:26
Episode 8: 50:05

Episode 5 was obviously sourced differently than the other ones so far. It’s much sharper and cleaner with a rock solid image and crisp audio.
Episode 8 introduces a new program open with Sam Jaffe given equal star billing with Vince Edwards.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Stan, the MOD releases are indicated in the product descriptions under Studio, at Amazon and other online sellers, as CBS HOME ENTERTAINMENT, CBS MOD, or CBSTV.

CBS/Paramount, controlled, pressed DVD TV and movie releases are listed, under Studio, as Paramount.

Amazon seems to have stopped using that "when purchased from Amazon this is a DVD-R" ,(whatever the exact wording was), in the product listings. It may mean that Amazon is getting the studio MODs from Allied Vaughn, now, instead of burning their own via their Create Space arm. Does the Amazon BEN CASEY have Create Space markings?

I see BEN CASEY is listed at DeepDiscount and OLDIES and some of the earlier CBS MOD releases, that had been exclusive to Amazon, like MOST WANTED, are available there too.

County General

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hello Everyone, I am County General. A few months ago I started a Ben Casey YouTube channel. My goal was to create enough interest in the series to get it released on DVD. In a little more than two months there was over 100 subscribers and some of the episodes received over 2000 views. Had CBS not shut it down there is no doubt the channel would have continued to grow. Needless to say I am very pleased that CBS has finally released the series to DVD regardless of the price. Let's hope they release the entire series. BTW, don't believe everything CBS says. They released all of Season 1 and half of Season 2 on DVD in Japan. Check out www.amazon.co.jp and search Ben Casey DVD.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi County General,

I was a subscriber to your YouTube site and was sorry to see it eliminated.
I looked forward to each release. I am glad however that CBS FINALLY saw the light and started releasing this show in DVD over here. I know that Ben Casey was very popular in Japan and that CBS had released a Ben Casey DVD.
Was the source of your video, the DVD set from Amazon Japan ?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks