What's new

Ben Casey (1 Viewer)

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi All,

If a company like Shout Factory can (re)release WKRP in Cincinati with most of its soundtrack intact, a larger outfit like CBS should be able to do the same with Ben Casey. I doubt that the music to license Ben Casey would be as extensive or as expensive, as WKRP.
CBS should be embarrassed for not releasing Ben Casey years ago.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Here's an indication of how popular "Ben Casey" was in its day and why its neglect is mystifying.

The Nielsen ratings for the two weeks ending Nov. 25, 1962, were historic, because CBS had 18 of the Top 20 shows.

The only NBC show in the Top 20 was "Bonanza" (No. 13) and the only ABC show was "Ben Casey" (No. 4).

"Bonanza"'s rating was 24.9, and "Casey"'s was 29.5. So this meant that, far and away, "Ben Casey" was the most popular show on television -- that wasn't on CBS!

If anyone's dying to know the three shows ranked higher than "Casey", they were the brand new and phenomenal "The Beverly Hillbillies" (33.7), "The Red Skelton Hour" and "Candid Camera". So three very silly shows were followed by one that was very serious.

It was an adult show and you are talking about 55 years ago. So, any of the adults who watched it in 1962 and made it popular are either in nursing home or in the ground now.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Shout Factory never had any interest in the series.

I was told directly by my very reliable contact at CBS that Shout had agreed to the deal but then backed out when they found out they would have issues with the music.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It was an adult show and you are talking about 55 years ago. So, any of the adults who watched it in 1962 and made it popular are either in nursing home or in the ground now.

As I recall, though, a lot of teenage girls watched "Kildare" and "Casey" because they liked Chamberlain and Edwards.

I had a cousin who was a nutty teenager then, and she never missed them. She's not even 70 yet, and although still nutty, not in a nursing home or the ground.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps it would have done okay had they done something with it ten years ago when TV on DVD was going strong. However, they had other, more popular shows they were focusing on at the time. At this point, CBS is doing so very little in the way of archive releases and for something to be considered for BOD it would have to have been remastered to a modern format some time in the last 20 or so years, which Ben Casey was not.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I was told directly by my very reliable contact at CBS that Shout had agreed to the deal but then backed out when they found out they would have issues with the music.

I don't know about the music but I'm told that CBS isn't clear that they even have home video rights to the series. Since that is the case, for them to have shopped it around for a deal would not be very plausible. The other thing which I'm hearing is that there are no decent elements existing for the complete versions of the episodes.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi All,

I'm really not buying the music rights crapola that's being touted. Unless the familiy of David Raskin, (the Ben Casey theme composer) or the families of the various other (episodic) music composers are getting involved, I think its just a lack of interest by CBS and the excuse they are using. As for the lack of decent elements, I doubt a show as popular as this would have had the original elements destroyed or mishandled.
The Adventures of Superman DVD set was released without its original elements, instead using fine grain 16MM transferred to Beta tape in the early 1990's and it turned out okay, although I was hoping for better. It also sold decently too. I would accept Ben Casey in this form...its better than what we have now...nothing !!!
As a side note, I recently noticed any full length Ben Casey episodes previously available on YouTube, have been pulled. Could something be in the works ??

Last edited:

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
For years there have been available in Amazon three different sets of 20 episodes each, from the same dubious company that also issues two sets of The Rogues, one of Trackdown and one 10 episode set of Dr. Kildare before the whole series was issued legally.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
For years there have been available in Amazon three different sets of 20 episodes each, from the same dubious company that also issues two sets of The Rogues, one of Trackdown and one 10 episode set of Dr. Kildare before the whole series was issued legally.

Are these Ben Casey episodes in public domain? If not, its just another indication that CBS by not challenging this seller, isn't interested and doesn't care about this series.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
I doubt a show as popular as this would have had the original elements destroyed or mishandled.

It's not that the elements were mishandled or destroyed, it's simply that new transfers would have to be made from the 35mm elements, and CBS has determined that the potential sales wouldn't justify the costs involved.

vincefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Amy
Hi All,

I'm getting very frustrated here as I see the releases into May of this year and not even a hint of news regarding the release of a Ben Casey DVD.

It so damn frustrating to see shows with lesser quality content being released, while this classic just gathers dust on a shelf. I know there are some music rights issues, with Ben Casey, but how many can there be ? Gomer Pyle, Wonder Years and WKRP to name a few have managed to get released with this obstacle...why not Ben Casey ??

Does any know the contact email for CBS/Paramount which apparently is digging its heals in on this show ? I need to vent my frustration at them.

Okay...I'll jump down off my soapbox now. ;)

John

vincefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Amy
Hi All,

I'm getting very frustrated here as I see the releases into May of this year and not even a hint of news regarding the release of a Ben Casey DVD.

It so damn frustrating to see shows with lesser quality content being released, while this classic just gathers dust on a shelf. I know there are some music rights issues, with Ben Casey, but how many can there be ? Gomer Pyle, Wonder Years and WKRP to name a few have managed to get released with this obstacle...why not Ben Casey ??

Does any know the contact email for CBS/Paramount which apparently is digging its heals in on this show ? I need to vent my frustration at them.

John
I started a petition to CBS Home Entertainment for the release of Ben Casey. It can't hurt to sign it. CBS Home Entertainment is on twitter. I so wish Warner Archive owned this series. They are the most consumer friendly distributor. There is no downside to releasing a program because it can be released in the "manufacture on demand mode" as Warner does. Love your post and couldn't agree more.

Sign the Petition http://chn.ge/2Dv3279 via @Change

vincefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Amy
Hi All,

For those of you who've never seen Ben Casey or need a memory refresh, there are several episodes available on YouTube. I would like to see some thoughts on the show from those who view the YouTube Ben Casey episodes.

As much as I like older B/W shows like My Little Margie and Car 54 Where Are You? (both available on DVD), I can't believe they were even considered for release before Ben Casey. I wish CBS/Paramount would just release the prints to another company for pressing and distribution. The Casey prints I saw on CBN years ago were acceptable and of the same visual quality as those used for The Adventures Of Superman DVD set. While I'd love to see Ben Casey remastered, I'd take a clean 16mm transfer over what is now available....nothing !!!

Unfortunately, as time passes, the show becomes less of a priority as this show's fan base diminishes.
I have seen some of the prints and they are close to pristine condition.

vincefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Amy
Hi All,

For those of you who've never seen Ben Casey or need a memory refresh, there are several episodes available on YouTube. I would like to see some thoughts on the show from those who view the YouTube Ben Casey episodes.

As much as I like older B/W shows like My Little Margie and Car 54 Where Are You? (both available on DVD), I can't believe they were even considered for release before Ben Casey. I wish CBS/Paramount would just release the prints to another company for pressing and distribution. The Casey prints I saw on CBN years ago were acceptable and of the same visual quality as those used for The Adventures Of Superman DVD set. While I'd love to see Ben Casey remastered, I'd take a clean 16mm transfer over what is now available....nothing !!!

Unfortunately, as time passes, the show becomes less of a priority as this show's fan base diminishes.

Here is a site that is selling 100 of the 153 episodes.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Link to site selling bootlegs removed!

Last edited by a moderator:

vincefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Amy
Hi All,

John
I messaged CBS Home Entertainment through Facebook. This is their response. Hi Amy, thanks for your note! While we don't have any updates on the show at this time, please continue to check Amazon as titles are always being added to the upcoming release schedule. Thanks for being a fan!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Here is a site that is selling 100 of the 153 episodes.
MODERATOR'S NOTE: Link to site selling bootlegs removed!

Posting bootleg sites is prohibited here:

5. Respect for copyrights. Home Theater Forum has a strict policy of respecting the rights of copyright holders. We do not allow promotion of bootleg material or discussion on how to obtain it, and we immediately delete all links to sites that deal in bootleg material. If you have any doubt whether a source is legitimate, please check with a moderator before posting any links. We also do not allow discussion of (a) how to make unauthorized copies of video or audio materials, (b) how to defeat any form of copy protection (including, for example, how to make "personal" copies of commercially produced DVDs), and/or © how to obtain equipment that can only be used for such purposes. In one form or another, this rule goes back to the very origins of HTF. We are serious about it. Please do not try to debate copyright law with us. We're not interested in discussing what the law should be. Public discussion about copyright law is allowed as long as it doesn't violate any portion of this or any other site rule. We believe it is in the best interest of HTF to enforce this policy strictly, and members test it at their peril.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I started a petition to CBS Home Entertainment for the release of Ben Casey. It can't hurt to sign it. CBS Home Entertainment is on twitter. I so wish Warner Archive owned this series. They are the most consumer friendly distributor. There is no downside to releasing a program because it can be released in the "manufacture on demand mode" as Warner does. Love your post and couldn't agree more.

Sign the Petition http://chn.ge/2Dv3279 via @Change

You obviously have no understanding about elements whatsoever. All that exists on tape of the show are 35 year old Worldvision one-inch transfers, which no studio is going to use for a commercial release and other than Warner, no studio is going to invest in the costs to make new 35mm transfers just for a BOD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks