Ben Affleck may be out as new Jack Ryan ....

Discussion in 'Movies' started by oscar_merkx, Sep 26, 2003.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

2. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    The key word here is "RUMOR".

I don't buy it, especially coming from an unknown source and naming Tom Cruise and David Duchovny as replacements. Yeah right!

Maybe this thread title should read "Rumor has it Ben Affleck MAY be out as Jack Ryan.

Thanks for the link Oscar. Very entertaining.[​IMG]

3. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I really hope he is out, he was a totally inneffectual Jack Ryan, a feeble superhero in Daredevil, and he was terrible in... oh sorry I thought this was the Ben-bashing thread.[​IMG]

But who is the new Jack Ryan? I trawled thru that link of yours Oscar and nothing came up.

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

see post above yours

[​IMG]

5. Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne Second Unit

Ben Affleck is just one of the things wrong with the Sum of All Fears. As a big fan of the other Jack Ryan movies, I can't get over the discontinuity between SOAF and the others. And it's not just appearances. I don't mind that Ryan's wife and daughter are played by different actors in Patriot Games than in The Hunt for Red October. What I do mind is The Sum All Fears acting like John Clark and Ryan have never met before, when they already met in Clear and Present Danger. SOAF constantly disrespects the audience. I know that Ford isn't going to come back, but I hope the next Ryan movie takes place in the same universe as Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger, and not in the parallel universe of The Sum of All Fears.

6. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I love Clancy novels. And Ben Affeck was not the worst thing about Sum of All Fears. Whoever wrote that script was the worst thing about that movie.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Thread title edited.

M.

8. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

Frankly, I was very disappointed with SOAF because they changed so many aspects of the novel. Their first mistake was the script. It was awful even before they rewrote it for Affleck. No wonder Harrison Ford passed on doing it! The film was completed before September 11, so why did they feel it necessary to change the villians from Middle Eastern terrorists to the Russians? Makes no sense to me.

Their next mistake was casting Affleck after Ford turned them down. Certainly, there must've been other stars in their 40s or 50s who could've carried this movie. Heck, they could've gone back to Alec Baldwin! At least you'd have some continuity there...though I don't know if he'd be bankable given his political leanings and current box office status. But surely there were other ways to go.

Lastly, I disagreed with the creation of the Cabot character played by Morgan Freeman. While I think that Mr. Freeman is a great actor, why couldn't they have brought back James Earl Jones as Admiral Greer to fill the role of the elder CIA figure? Surely, that would've made more sense than to create a new character...unless Jones turned down the chance to return.

Anyways, that's my $.02. I hope that if/when the next movie is made that they recast Jack Ryan with an older character and continue with Debt of Honor or Executive Orders. We'll just have to wait and see...

9. IanHo

IanHo Extra

Tom Clancey did "Executive Produce" SOAF. In other words, he gave SOAF his "stamp of approval" which was really shocking to me. Because of that, I no longer look forward to future Clancey projects as much as I used to.

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yeah, he was really fond of it, said it reinvigorated him and made him anxious to write about a younger Jack Ryan.

The result: Red Rabbit (which was OK, but not up to his usual level) and The Teeth Of The Tiger (which was godawful, despite one or two good action scenes).

I actually enjoyed SoAF-the-movie, since I was pretty sure going in that it could not be SoAF-the-novel (the book's structure wouldn't work in a movie) and I'm the wacko who likes when adaptations make some departures from the source material, so long as they're entertaining. [​IMG]

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Since this thread is neither praising or criticizing
    Ben Affleck, I don't think what I am about to say is
    going to qualify as thread farting....

I don't think I am in the minority when I say
    that Ben Affleck has no talent as an actor. His
    claim to fame is simply based on having a handsome
    face. None of the movies he has been in has shown
    him to have much talent or personality.

This is just another example of how Hollywood
    stars are so vastly different than those from the
    Golden Era of cinema.

What puts Ben Affleck on most "hit lists" of guys
    like me is that we are all tired of hearing about
    him and Jennifer Lopez. For the past year, their
    relationship has dominated national news to the
    point where their breakup would overshadow headlines
    about a nuclear missile launch.

Do any of us really care about Ben Affleck any more?

Thanks for the news about Jack Ryan, but I hope
    Ben Affleck's movie career is close to being over.

12. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

I was disappointed that Clancy approved "Sum" as well especially after the bizarre change in villains, which even he was honest enough to admit on the commentary track was pretty lame. Only in Hollywood (as he noted) would anyone take seriously the idea of "neo-Nazis" being a more realistic terrorist threat than Arabs.

13. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

In the right role I quite like Ben Affleck has an actor. I thought his talent was shown in Changing Lanes which was an underrated gem of last year. I also enjoyed his work on Chasing Amy, his good films are few and far between but I definitely wouldn't say the guy has 'no talent as an actor'. I try to leave personal issues at the door, i'm not at the film to worry about who he is currently dating.

14. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

15. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

16. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I really don't have too much of an opinion of Affleck. I loved Changing Lanes, and Daredevil. Having never read SoaF, I wasn't aware of the discrepencies between the book and the film, therefore they didn't bother me. I actually enjoyed SoaF for what it was. It certainly wasn't the greatest movie, but it was good for a popcorn flick.

17. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I like most of Affleck's films, Dogma and several others, and I liked SOAF. My problem was with the Jack Ryan re-imagining, as if he was just starting out again, and you really couldn't call it a prequel, as the things he saw and did don't track with the other 3 movies. Great movie, they should have just said, story idea based on the Tom Clancy novel, but used different character names, and let Jack Ryan rest.

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

19. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Would it be a travesty for Alec Baldwin to reprise
    the role?

Sure Baldwin is older now, but I thought he was
    the best Jack Ryan to date.

I'm not familiar with the books, so I am unsure
    as to whether Ryan stays young throughout his
    many adventures.

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Ryan ages (the latest book actually stars Jack Jr.), but I gather he ages better than Alec Baldwin has. [​IMG]