What's new

BELOW -- Another film I am looking forward to (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This film from director David Twohy, and with a screenplay written by the great Darren Aronofsky sounds and looks like it is going to be one hell of a stellar film! I have been anticipating this film since I first heard it was being made some time last year. It is also getting wonderful reviews, and this is a film that just seems right up my alley! I'm definitely not anticipating this as much as {B]THE RING[/b], but I am still VERY muchly anticipating it! I wonder why I have seen virtually no previews for it, though. Oh well, it doesn't matter, because I gaurantee you I'll be first in line for this flick next Friday! What do you all think of this one?

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Yeah so am I. I just watched the trailer for it the other day and it got me pretty hyped. It's supposed to be out htis month, correct?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Justin,
I recently discovered that the 10/11 release has now been downgraded to 'limited'. (That's news I discovered here .)
But apparently there's now a wide release scheduled for 10/18. (That's news I discovered here .)
Needless to say, I'm pretty psyched to see this one!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Writer - filmography

Riddick: Pitch Black 2 (2004) (as David Twohy)
Below (2002) (written by) (as David Twohy)
Impostor (2002) (screenplay) (as David Twohy)
Pitch Black (2000) (screenplay) (as David Twohy)
G.I. Jane (1997) (screenplay) (as David Twohy)
Arrival, The (1996) (written by) (as David Twohy)
Waterworld (1995) (written by) (as David Twohy)
Terminal Velocity (1994) (written by) (as David Twohy)
Warlock: The Armageddon (1993) (characters) (as D.T. Twohy)
Fugitive, The (1993) (screenplay) (as David Twohy) (story) (as David Twohy)

how about that for a list as a screen writer.
i really enjoyed waterworld and i think arrival is almost a forgotten gem of a sci-fi film.
i still want to see pitch black and now it looks like a pitch black sequal is coming.
i liked terminal velocity also and was surprised to see he had his hand in that and the fugitive.

he's only directed these ..
Riddick: Pitch Black 2 (2004)
Below (2002)
Pitch Black (2000) (as David Twohy)
Arrival, The (1996) (as David Twohy)
Grand Tour: Disaster in Time (1992) (TV)
i never heard of the grand tour.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info, Scott! It is too bad that the 11th date is now limited, because I want to see this film ASAP. Maybe it'll come to the nearby theater that gets limited releases, hopefully it'll come there anyway. If not, I'll be seeing both BELOW and THE RING on the 18th.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
My pleasure, Justin.
Always happy to help keep a fellow gorehound on the right page.
That CHUD write-up was pretty sweet, eh? :emoji_thumbsup:

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it sure was. I go to Creature Corner often, but I never really go to the CHUD part of the site, but I think I'll start to. :)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe the lack of marketing & advertising for David Twohy's new film Below. I really like Twohy's previous 2 films (Arrival & Pitch Black) & the film has gotten some good reviews (NY Times, Village Voice), yet Miramax has abadoned the film which is especially hurtful seeing how there is another film coming out, Ghost Ship, that has a similar storyline. I only found out about this film a few days ago and I thought it was a new or former title change for Ghost Ship. With these forces railing aginst it, I can't see this making any money. I guess Dimension & Miramax thought that since there aren't a lot of teenagers in the film, it won't make any money. Very depressing.

Justin L Bishop

Auditioning
Depressing indeed. You'd think that after almost ditching Twohy's last film (Pitch Black, which went on to make a ton of money AND make a star out of Vin Diesel), they would've learned their lesson.

Oh well. Seems that they're definitely killing this movie. The theater count for it this weekend (its opening weekend) is 186. Pretty sad.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping it would be opening here in the Seattle area, but scanning the morning paper I don't see it! :angry: I have never been let down by Twohy's directing efforts and want to see BELOW. Twohy himself said in an interview that the failure of Harrison Ford's submarine movie probably scared off the studio from having any confidence in his. Idiots! I'm hoping rumors of it opening wider next week is true.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I was also really looking forward to seeing this. If it's not even opening in Seattle, that's a very pathetic release. This is usually one of the first cities to get these smaller releases.
With everything I've read about it, it sounds like a very satisfying horror film. Harry at Aint-It-Cool calls it his favorite horror film of the year so far. Twohy has already proven that he is a very competent horror/sci-fi director with The Arrival and Pitch Black. It's criminal that they don't even trust him enough to give Below a decent release after Pitch Black turned into a surprise hit.
Well, at least we can all look forward to it on DVD. I have a feeling that this film will find it's audience on video.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
It is a shame! The trailer looks wonderful and did a great job of getting me stoked for the film. I'm dying to see it!

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
It's not opening in Houston either. What a shame! I noticed the script was co-written by Darren Aronofski (sp?) as well as directed by Twohy.

Considering the drek that the studios routinely wallpaper the nation with, the fact that they are deep-sixing this fills me with impotent frustration.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping that the official site would have a list of cities that it would be opening in, but all I got was a (admittedly) cool shockwave that allowed you to "sink" the words of the tagline.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Nowhere to be found in B.C., but should open here next week or the following. I have too much to see this weekend anyway. :)
Jason

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I saw it last night. I won't say it was an excellent film...it suffers from some minor problems primarily from mixing a ghost story genre with a WWII sub film.

But, it is very, very good. A cast of some great character actors on a mysterious ride in a WWII sub where the audience is constantly wondering WHAT is going on. I want to compare it to "The Others" for similarity in mood, suspense, and mystery. But, while I figured out what was going on in "The Others" about a quarter of the way in, this film takes MUCH longer to even begin to figure out. And, frankly, when it's over, there are two possible answers to the events that had taken place. I particularly like the nod to the plot secret of "The Others".

Is it super original or creative? No. Could it have been a made for TV episode of "Creepshow" or "Outer Limits"? I suppose so, but it DOES transcend TV in many ways. Twohy is a very talented director and he brings a LOT to the party.

I think any fan of suspense, horror, or sub movies would dig this pic. I think it's an embarrassment that the studio is dumping it. Particularly when "The Others" did so well.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that is pretty cool. Nice site, but I agree that a listing of the cities it is playing in would be great.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I saw it at the ArcLight in Hollywood and it's a corker-- very well-crafted and scary as hell without being exploitative. Great sound design too. I can't recommend it enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks