Beloved Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by MarcusUdeh, Apr 19, 2004.

1. MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh Supporting Actor

director Jonathan Demme__
    "It had a complicated reception. It's funny, because I feel that what we've read about Beloved in magazines and the newspapers may present one perspective on how the movie fared and what the movie's story was. But, the thing is, I love the movie and I'm so proud of it and I thank God and Walt Disney-and Oprah-that I was able to make that picture. I love that it's part of our American movie literature, but I think that we ended up selling that picture with an evident degree of 'it's take your medicine time, America.' I think the intentions behind that attitude were pure, but it probably just wasn't a smart approach. Also, the picture probably opened much too wide. If we had the opportunity to market it again, we would have been much more low-key about it: open it up smaller and give it a chance to find its audience. "

actress Uma Thurman __
    said she couldn't remember the last time she'd seen something "so compelling and profound".

2. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Beloved was on my top 10 list for 1998 (and there was probably an HTF "Official Discussion Thread" back in the day that you could have added comments to after searching to find it?).

I very much need to see it again. But its on that same list that includes The Horse Whisperer and several other films Di$ney released subpar, non-anamorphic DVDs of.

I'm hoping, perhaps once she signs off the huge time commitment that is a daily TV show, Oprah uses her Harpo Productions as a vehicle to get back into the film production biz. I think she--perhaps in conjunction with a partner, whether it be Karen Forte or some other person with more line producing experience than Oprah--could do same serious damage as a producer, what with her clout, relationships, cash and probable good taste in material if some of her book club choices are any indication.

-p

3. MarcusUdeh

Currently Harpo Films has the rights to another Morrison property "Paradise". Award-winning playwright Suzan-Lori Parks has been commissioned to adapt the screenplay.

4. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Marcus:

It would be helpful if you would please cite your sources when you quote people or post information such as the above. Did the Demme and Thurman quotes and the Paradise rights info. come from trade stories? When? Thx. [​IMG]

-p

5. MarcusUdeh

6. MarcusUdeh

7. MarcusUdeh

8. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    So....that Uma Thurman quote is almost 6 years old. Maybe she's seen a film since then that is more "profound and compelling".[​IMG]

I loved Oprah in The Color Purple, an amazing performance in a great film. Since then, I have grown to dislike her immensely for many reasons.

I avoided this film because she was in it. However, since I am a fan of Jonathan Demme, if it is re-released
    anamorphically, I may check it out.

9. MarcusUdeh

Why not rent it on VHS?

10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    VHS???[​IMG] Sure, and I'll see if I can find the soundtrack on 8-Track tape too![​IMG]

I haven't watched a film on VHS in years, and even a non-anamorphic DVD is still miles ahead of VHS.

I can wait for the remastered DVD. There's no rush for me to see this film.

11. MarcusUdeh

Like the film itself, Tak Fujimoto's work here was unjustly ignored. That's reason alone to see this Demme Picture ASAP.

12. MarcusUdeh

13. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    That's reason alone to wait to see this film until it IS remastered. Why would I want to see Tak's work on inferior low resolution VHS or a non-anamorphic DVD? Sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

14. MarcusUdeh

Actually the only version of the film I ever watched was a dub I made from Pay-Per-View. I loved that tape till a loved one of mine recorded over the ending. Tak's work didn't go unnoticed on my low-res copy. Btw, did you read my favorite Beloved review?

15. MarcusUdeh

[c]delete[/c]

16. MarcusUdeh

[​IMG]

17. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Marcus, is there any particular reason--other than attempting to keep the thread visible--that you can't consolidate your posts?

It would also appear--in both this thread and the one you started which Michael Reuben moved to Studio Feedback--that you are stealth linking (in other words, the site hosting these images is neither HTF nor your own), which if I recall is something that HTF frowns upon.

-p

18. MarcusUdeh

To Paul.S concerning my many posts on the Beloved thread. For better or worse I wanted this title to actually get a proper on going dialogue. In the Studio Feedback Forum I don't believe much can progress there since most topics seem to sit. No one really goes there except every now and then to complain or hope that someone in power can green light there own private fan boy flick. No more meaningless posting to keep a dying thread alive on my part; unless of course there is someone giving and on topic response. Btw thank you Tino.

19. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    The problem of course is that this film is 6 years old. Of course there are HTF threads about films older than that, but they tend to be evergreen or cult films. Heck, I posted (late) to the Last Samurai thread a month ago and no one's posted since.

Perhaps you should e-mail an admin and see if he can dig up a link to the Official Discussion Thread that probably existed in '98 and has since been archived. Posting to that thread will of course send an e-mail to everyone who's posted therein, a group of people who are obviously interested in discussing the picture.

-p

20. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

We didn't have official threads then. I don't think we even had a separate Movies section.

M.