BELLE DE JOUR DVD - How is it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastian_A, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Sebastian_A

Sebastian_A Stunt Coordinator

Since the other thread was closed (and since we're all missing Big AL) I thought it would be good to have the AL discussion in some other thread and have some info on the new release right here - hope this is okay with everyone. [​IMG]
    So, now from all you guys who ordered the DVD, can you write a short summary of your impressions?
    Thank you all,
    Sebastian. [​IMG]

2. Michael Dehaven

Michael Dehaven Stunt Coordinator

It has a mediocre non-anamorphic transfer. Player generated subs which means that when a truck honks it horn, which by the way is not even seen, a sub is generated saying horn honks. Yeh right. The movie is enjoyable but the lackluster transfer really rankles. I have already sold the dvd to another HTF'er. I didn't check out any extras.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

4. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I know in the other thread that there was the rumor that it had been recalled. Has anyone else received this disc? Mine still hasn't shipped, which seems awfully weird. I did get The Young Girls of Rochefort, which had the same release date, and a cursory glance at it was acceptable. (The lack of any extras leaves something to be desired, but that's something else entirely.)

My point, though, is that it seems like a lot of people are talking about this DVD, but very few seeme to have come across it.

5. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I too have yet to receive my disc. I wonder if something's up?

6. Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory Stunt Coordinator

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Actually, he's saying the subtitles are player generatd, not closed captioned. This isn't, in my view, a bad thing, since some people can speak the native language and burned in subs would be distracting to them.

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The comment on the subs leads me to believe that it is a CC style track, with not only dialogue, but sound cues- you wouldn't put [honk] in the normal translation subs. This is exactly what Fox's defective Stealing Beauty had.

9. Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory Stunt Coordinator

10. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Al/Richard reviewed the DVD on another site. He says that it has two subtitle streams:

11. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

There is an option to turn off the close-captioning (I don't believe it was on by default). I didn't notice any close-captioning and I don't remember actually turning them off. But, as far as the video/audio goes-standard fare. The picture has noticable print-source artifacts and some scenes, there is horrible color shifting. The audio is generally clear, with no noticable problems and dialogue is usually excellent in its placement. The biggest drawback is lack of enhancement and the subsequent window-boxing. If they would've just gave it an anamorphic transfer....

Bruce

12. Rain

Rain Producer

According to the packaging, the Belle de Jour DVD released in Canada by Alliance IS anamorphic.

I have not seen the Canadian version of the DVD yet, but I thought it would be worthwhile to resurrect this thread to ask if anyone has and what their thoughts are on the DVD overall....

13. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Interesting, Rain. I have yet to see this in store, but I'm also wondering whether anyone has gotten Purple Noon yet, and how that one fared. I have the Criterion LDs of both films, and unless they have been substantially improved, neither will make the priority list for purchase.

14. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Anyone have more info on whether the Canadian release actually has an anamorphic transfer?

15. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

I ordered the disc from DVD Box Office, a Canadian retailer. The disc is *not* anamorphic (nor does the cover imply so). Too bad. [​IMG]

16. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Jussi, are you sure you got the Alliance version and not the US Miramax version? Just because the etailler is in Canada doesn't necesarily mean they have the Canadian version. Just making sure.

17. Marc Colella

DV-Depot.com apparently has the Canadian version of Belle de Jour.
    The Alliance logo is present beside the DVD cover and further down on the page is an "Anamorphic Widesreen 1.66:1" logo.
    http://www.dv-depot.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=124857
    Definitely interesting.

18. Rain

Rain Producer

19. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I've now seen the one Rain did in store (Future Shop $25.99), and it does indeed state implicitly that it's anamorphic. I almost grabbed it as they said I could return it if it was missing a feature listed on the cover, but the credit card is racked this month. I susect this is the same as the US version, unless we got the master they were intending to use. Anyone get the Alliance version yet and know for sure?

20. Marc Colella

The question was asked on alt.video.dvd and Norm Wilmer stated that the Canadian version is NOT anamorphic.
    The transfer is exactly the same. Just a misprint for the Canadian packaging.