What's new

Bell Express Vu and Dolby 5.1... worth it? (1 Viewer)

PaulDF

Second Unit
I am toying with the idea of upgrading my Bell Express vu satellite system to one with Dolby 5.1 capability. I have a few questions and would like advice.

1. Are there any (Bell) DD5.1 receivers available that are not PVRs? (cost is the factor here)
2. How much programming is actually available in DD5.1?
3. How is the sound quality, and is it consistent?

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Paul

I have a ExpressVu 5.1 setup and I think I can answer most of what you need to know. From what I know the only receivers that have an optical output are the 5100/5800 or the HDTV receiver. A few years ago Bell had a much cheaper receiver with a digital output something like the 4100 not quite sure but nontheless it is not made anymore. You might be able to find it somewhere but I doubt it. Now that the 50 gig 5800 PVR is out you might beable to find the 5100 for a better price. I do not watch any of the pay perview channels on EspressVU but I can tell you that the Movie Channels titled M1 , M2, M3, etc at least in the east, actually I think they just renamed they here too, but whatever, the point is those channels offer a lot of good movies and programs in 5.1 I am not saying tons but a good amount. Hello I can get Six Feet Under in 5.1 so that made me happy. I would say that cost wise if you do not want any other upgrades then go for it but you are not missing a whole lot yet at least. The sound is quite good. To my undertrained ear I would say DVDs on the most part sound better but I am not expert.

John

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
Bell used to have the 4700 that had a digital out, you might be able to find it used. Other than that, the PVR's and the HD-receiver are your only choices. I would say that the PPV's frequently have 5.1 presentations. On the movie channels, Movie Central in the west, the big blockblusters usually show up in 5.1 form, and sometimes widescreen! The older films are usually never in 5.1. Most of time it is a pro-logic signal. On the 5.1 movies I have seen, I don't recall any audio problems. I have a 6000 and 5100. The HD programming is always 5.1 or pro-logic, Alias in 5.1!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks