What's new

Belkin PF40 PureAV™ Home Theater Power Console (1 Viewer)

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator
Nice surge suppressor. $225 delivered from ECost. 6490 Joule/330,000 amp max protection. Solid & heavy. After removing it from the carton I was first impressed by the weight of the power cord. It must be about 3/4" in diameter. Blue display with five dimmer settings set on a heavy plate of brushed aluminum. Display reads voltage/amp draw and diagnostic messages. I saved a bundle over products from Panamax/Monster that have similar features plus this one better fits my personal tastes to boot. But the biggest reason I bought it: Lifetime replacement in the event of strike or failure, no questions asked. When I asked for clarification on the policy to make sure my ears heard what I thought was said, I was plainly told that whomever has a busted Belkin unit will get a new one sent to them after the damaged unit is sent in (I had a good conversation of modest length with one of Belkin's Engineers by phone prior to the purchase). Further, the guy said in a nutshell that Belkin believes in their product and values their customers too much to fuss over receipts or which sales outlet is or isn't authorized.

I think the entire product line represents a new benchmark for value in the entry level s/p arena.

Finally and for once I felt like someone cared enough about my business to pay attention to the little things. Like answering their phones for a change. Or manning their phones with technically competent people to answer questions and explain features. The experience was such a departure from the usual run around customers get when they try contacting the manufacturers that it alone was enough to sell me. Keep up the good work Belkin.

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator
In one word: Fantastic! The AC noise filtration has made a remarkable improvement in the audio spectrum. For instance, I used to have an intermittent pop from my left surround channel that I believed was a problem with the amplifier section of my HT receiver. If the unit was on without playing back a program or song, then it would occur from time to time. What a problem for a brand-new receiver! I actually went as far as requesting a RMA number from the reseller believing I had a faulty unit. Well, I was dragging my feet while getting the Yamaha HTR-5790 ready for shipment because I couldn't bear the thought of not having movies in thx-DTS ES or upconverted from S-Video to component for 4 to 6 weeks while the problem was investigated. So, before I got around to sending it back, I installed the PF40. The PF40 unit was solely intended to address my power needs and not to address the problem I had with the noise, but I haven't heard a peep from that channel since. Problem solved!

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have hoards of money to spend on my system so I must choose my investments wisely. I couldn't get a unit with similar features and equivalent strike protection for anywhere near $200 from Panamax or Monster. Hell, not even if I tripled what I spent on the Belkin. Needless to say, it was an easy choice to make given my budget. To make one point clear, however: even if I had an unlimited budget, I still would choose the Belkin over their product offerings.

An AC line conditioner that I believe IS worth an additional investment is made by PS Audio, and is well outside of the price of the PF40 and technically so far more advanced as to make the two in completely different market segments. As far as TRUE dedicated surge protection, I will invest in Brick Wall when my budget next permits. Yet, IMHO, for a power distributor that has modest surge protection/noise filtration, nothing from Panamax or Monster even comes close to the Belkin stuff when you examine the trio according to price to performance ratio.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
This really looks like an excellent deal, but I don't know a whole lot about power accessories. Can anyone else chime in on this?

eCost is out of stock, can't find any other authorized seller that has it available at anything close to this price.:frowning:

Ernesto.Morin

Stunt Coordinator
Wow this is hard to find now from an autorized dealer. IMO, it is an awesome product but only if you pay under 200. Most places that have it in stock have it for over 500. I guess I will have to keep an eye out for it.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Well, trying to find the PF40 at a good price was so frustrating that I finally "gave up" and ordered its big brother, the PF60, from eCost for $281 delivered. :)

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I'd appreciate any suggestions on how best to place the PF60 in my audio rack -- should it be on a shelf by itself? Is it safe to stack another component, such as an Audio Authority 1154A, on top of this? Thanks for any input!

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator

It doesn't generate significant heat so ventilation concerns need not be entertained when deciding on console placement. I don't see any reason why not to place your other component on top. In fact, I have my HT receiver on top of my power console just because it is the best solution to neatly organize the hoard of wires connected to both.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Thanks for the input, Will :emoji_thumbsup:

I suppose that what I'm concerned about, more than heat, is the possibility that having those power cords, coming into the PF60 from various components, and the PF60 itself, in such close proximity to the various audio and video cables coming in and out of the 1154A, creates some possibility for electrical/magnetic/some-kind-of interference with picture and sound signals being carried to/from audio/video components. Is this a valid concern?

I'm hoping not, because it'll be a real pain to reconfigure my a/v rack if I can't just stick the PF60 underneath the 1154A :frowning:

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely. And it is the very reason I put the power console and the receiver together :)

I took all the power lines jutting from the back of the console, trunked them together with velcro-strips, and routed them down the rack on one side. then I wired all the interconnects on the rear plate of the receiver, bundled them and routed them down the middle. Same for the speaker wires down the side opposite the power. As the trunks reach the floor, the speakers go one way and the power lines another. I thought since these two components have the most connections, putting them together would be the easiest way to assure that power/interconnects/speaker wire don't have to cross paths as they expand out into the listening area.

It is said that if wires have to cross, do so so that they cross at 90 degree angles. Apparently this minimizes interference between speaker/power/interconnect.

I didn't understand your concerns about stacking and so assumed you were worried about heat build-up. Sorry about that :) Cheers.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Will, I am concerned about heat, but putting it on top of the h/k AVR 7200 was simply not an option, and nothing else puts out a whole lot of heat, so that's why I was really more concerned about intereference. :)

Well, got my new toy today, and here's how I decided to try things in the Z-Line Z24-4T rack:

Bottom Shelf: h/k AVR 7200

Next Shelf Up: Belkin PF60; Samsung SIR-T150 (stacked on top of PF60); SA 3100 HD (on top of T150)

Next Shelf Up: Panasonic DMR-E55; Zenith DVB318 (stacked on top of Panny)

Top Shelf: Audio Authority 1154A

Anyone have ideas on a better setup?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I have been hunting around for info on these myself. While not the cheapest prices, even Amazon has then for about 1/2 list, with free shipping. The PF60 is listed at about $350 as we speak. Compare that to Best Buy and various computer stores which have them at list price. No thanks.

But, I am just not comfortable dealing some of the lower cost vendors out there (too many negative reviews, questions of true inventory, etc.), however, I do trust Amazon.

There are reviews of the 60 and 40 in the current WSR (a worthless review, IMHO, but that's typically what I think of any power product that they review), and I also found a review on line from the www.laaudiofile.com.

Anyway, methinks a PF60 is going to find its way into my rack soon.

Personally, even at 1/2 the price I would NEVER buy a similar product from Monster. I just do not in any way shape or form trust them.

BGL

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
(I posted this somewhere else in the forum, but thought that y'all would be interested nonetheless)

In case anyone wanted to know, the Belkin PF60 is going for a pretty good price now at buy "DOT" com. More than 50% off, and from an authorized dealer. Just ordered one myself, can't wait till it gets here. Heard good things about it.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I know I'm resurrecting a year-old thread but in case anybody is still interested in the Belkin PureAV units mentioned above, provantage.com has them at very good prices.

I just got the PF31 for about $120.00 total.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I recently had the power supply in my computer die, so in an effort to correct any future problems that may exist that I can't control, I bought two of these units, one for my computer, and one for my home theater.

I bought them through Provtange.com for $240 shipped ($40 shipping).

Amazon has the PF30 units for $87 each, but provtange has cheaper prices for both the PF31 and 40 units.

So thanks for bumping this 3 year old thread, because it was perfect timing!

Hopefully I like the units, I've heard good things about Belkin products.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks