Belkin Cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Kevin_F, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Kevin_F

Kevin_F Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone hae any experiences with this cable manufactorer, good or bad?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Belkin typically sells to the PC industry. Belden sells to everyone. Both are reputable companies and its entirely possible to buy the wrong cable for the application and blame it on the manufacturer rather than oneself. Got a specific question?

3. Kevin_F

I am looking for a good cables and a surge protector other than Monster. What do you use?

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Kevin.

The smart money for cables is actually the custom cable sites like www.bluejeanscables.com.

These sites use the same coax (Canare or Belden) that the professional broadcast industry uses. Unlike Monster, the technical specs for the coax is available and has proven to work better than Monster, while costing about 1/4 the price.

It's well worth a few minutes to check out the on-line prices. The owners of many of these sites are members of HTF, treat us well, and are very responsive to problems.

Example: a HTF member bought a custom cable for his new Plasma TV, but could not get things to work. So he posted a question like "Could the cable be defective?". The next day he gets a phone call at work from the owner of the cable site. The owner helped the member diagnose the problem (a mis-connection) and the member then posted about his experience.

You wont get this kind of support from Monster.

Surge Supressors:

Chu wrote a good article at the top of this fourm - well worth a read.

I tend to only use power strips with surge supressors. About $15 each. We have had several recent power outages because of the wet Califonia weather and all my electronics came back fine.

Some people swear by "power conditioners", but these are usually people who have dirty AC power by living in a City or near industry.

If a salesman pressures you to buy a Monster power strip for $100+ do this:

- Make sure they have a good return policy (no restocking fee).

- Buy the expensive power strip, bring it home and watch your system for 30 minutes. You want the electronics to be warmed up, and get used to the picture quality.

- Shut things down and plug your video electronics into the expensive power strip and fire things back up.

- Do you notice a major difference?

If you dont, Your AC power is already fairly clean. Return the expensive power strip.

Hope this helps.

5. Kevin_F

Thanks for your reply Bob, I will take your advice into consideration and take a look at the cables at bluejeans. I still have a few months before I start to buy equipment, I am still finishing my basement, but I am doing my research now so when the time comes, I will be ready.

I would have to say that joining this forum has been great help, and I have learned a few things that have saved me money already (Monster cable is not worth the money is the major thing).

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You are very welcome!

Well... Monster is Retail, and over-hyped, but it's not all that bad. Most of us here have a few Monster cables in our systems (or in a box in the garage).

But with some knowledge, or friends at HTF, we can get you better cables for less.

You mentioned finishing your basement. Remember that if you run speaker wires in your walls to look for CL4 or "In Wall" rated speaker wires. This stuff has a fire-resistant jacket and many local fire codes require it.