What's new

Belden 1695A and Canare RCAP-C53 (1 Viewer)

Kamil_k

Grip
I just ordered some of the subject material to make component video cables with as I have to pass them through a rather narrow conduit and preassembled cables would not go through and soldering is not for me. I would assemble the connectors after the cables emerge from the conduit.

However, due to the limited number of cables I will make, I did not spring for the special and expensive Canare tools and instead have a Radio Shack crimper (catnum 278-238). I think this is ok for crimping the cable itself (it also has a die for .068" in addition to the RG6 die; could I use this for the pin itself?)

I am now up to my 8th wasted plug. It is getting expensive so would appreciate some help from those who have tried and succeeded after some failed attempts. I am stripping (with a knife) to the apparent lengths the cable as shown in this website: bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/DIYCable (add www to the beginning and .htm to the end of this 'url') but still get non-working cable. I will try crimping the pin next but hopefully will hear from some of you first to learn what else I may be doing wrong.
Yes, I know I should be using Canare tools. Apart from that is what I mean. :)

Thanks everyone.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't done it yet myself but I have heard that the cuts and crimps have to be right on to get good results. Try using the adjustable cutter from Rat Shack and look at some of the other choices for precision crimpers like Paladin or Parts Express. I bet you are not getting good contact with the center pin and the conductor. What are you using to crimp that little pin right now?

Check out this http://www.geocities.com/teddrain/diy_cables/index.html

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
If I'm understanding you right, you did not crimp the center pin? This has to be done to get a working cable. I can't get the link you posted to work, but the one Michael_M listed is a good place for instructions.

CJ

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I use the exact same crimper for all my Canare RCAP-C53 cables. I found a standard coax cable stripper at Home Depot that I use to first strip the cable. Here's how I do it:

1. Strip about 3/4" of the outer skin.
2. Fold back the silver braid and smooth it down against the outer coax covering. The inner thick skin covering the center copper wire should be exposed.
3. Strip back the inner skin so only about 3/16" of the center wire is exposed. The entrance to the center pin, when slid onto the wire should be snug against the inner skin or have a tiny gap of wire showing between the back of the pin and the inner thick skin.
4. Using the .068 crimper, crimp the center pin onto the wire. This .068 crimper is larger than the one Canare has so you must be sure to include the very end flange in the crimp, otherwise the pin will slide off and not make the correct contact with the wire.
5.Slide the RCA jack onto the inner skin making sure no braid wires slip under the RCA. The center pin should "click" into place inside the RCA.
6.Fold the silver braid back over the RCA jack and smooth. Using a pair of scissors, cut the braid very close to the back of the thick part of the RCA. When the crimp ring is slid over the braid and the back of the RCA, the braid should be between the crimp ring and the thin part of the back of the RCA. Hope this makes sense. Crimp the ring onto the RCA.

Please make sure to use a multimeter to check for continuity between the RCA pins at both ends. Then check for continuity between the RCA barrels at both ends. You could fry your equipment if the cable is shorted!!!!!!!!

Let me know if you need more clarification.

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
Radio Shack's cable stripper 278-248 is great for cable stripping. Once you set it up, it will strip the cable's outer jacket and the dielectric & shield to perfect length for crimping. It also aval. at HD(~$10).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks