What's new

Belden 1505F Coax for both Audio and Video DIY (1 Viewer)

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
I have been reading up and am all motivated to make new interconnects for my HT rather than buying. I have looked at several sites and am considering using Belden 1505F for both audio and video cables. This would simplify my cable ordering and minimize the number of dies I would need to crimp the Canare fcaps I plan on using. Am I losing anything by using just one wire or should I get specific wires for each application?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Besides the good Belden link above, the 1505 will make better video cables than audio, same is true with the 1506A which might be a hair better for both or somewhere in the same neighborhood (the equipment it is used with could influence the results). Digital audio cables will be decent too. If really depends on how much of a fanatic you want to be. In my opinion Belden 89259 is likely the best all around compromise for audio/video/digital (you might notices small differences on digital or video compared to 1506 for example and probably a bit more difference on analog audio - of course it is all dependent on associated equipment to some extent). I use the 1506A for digital and Canare stuff for video for the most part. For audio stuff, I am probably a bit over the edge compared to most. The Canare cable can be ordered in ft. from places like Marketek and perhaps haveinc.com. Sometimes Have Inc. has Belden cut reels for sale by the ft. too. The easiest RCA connectors I have found to use with the 89259 is Vampire's (vampirewire.com) - "Part #C5X - Audio Connector
Male RCA connector. The standard by which all high quality RCA's are judged. For up to 5.7mm diameter cables. Uses compression to insure proper RF shielding and strain relief. Priced per pair.
Price: $16.50" It requires soldering of the center conductor and uses compression for the ground so that a piece of the shield is screwed tight between 2 sections of the multi-pieced RCA. Neutrik Pro-Fis are good too and can be had a bit cheaper at places like Markertek.com. If soldering is not for you, I would use the 1506A which takes the Canare '4' size connector and '4' size boots. The Canare stuff is of course really easy to work with and less hassle than most.

KurtBJC

Agent
1505F is nice stuff; I've found it to work really well for analog audio, from a shielding standpoint, and while it slightly lags the solid-conductor coaxes (1694A, 1505A, etc) on some of the specs, that's unlikely to make a big difference unless you're in a really RF-noisy environment (where the double braid shield will be a bit less effective than braid-over-foil) or you're doing insanely long runs. It's also quite nice to work with, because it's really soft and flexible by comparison with the solid-conductor cables.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Michael, you may find this link interesting with regard to audio cables

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/humrejection.htm

If you're just looking for one cable for both A/V interconnects and coaxial satellite/cable patch cables, then I'd go with either Belden 1694A or Canare L-5CFB (this is not rated for in-wall use though just in case you need to run anything up into or through a wall). They are both around 30-35 cents a foot but you may find only find Belden in spools of 500 feet. I used a complete 500 foot spool of Belden 1694A when I rewired my first floor and basement for cable/satellite and used Canare for my patch cables from the wall faceplate to that various pieces of equipment. I used Canare F connectors which are easy to work with and just require two crimps - one for the center pin and one onto the braided shield. Pretty basic. I've recently used my leftover Canare cable to make some component cables using the Canare RCA connectors and electrical tape to label each individual cable with the appropriate color. They work as good or better than the Monster cable they replaced. One of the added advantages to making your own cable is that you can make custom lengths - for example, the Monster cable was always too short - it barely reached - but now, my 7 1/2 foot homemade cable is perfect lengthwise and there is no stress on the connectors.

The only caveat to the Canare cable it is thick and not as flexible as a stranded center conductor cable.

hope this helps,

--tom

Claude D D

Auditioning
I've found that Belden 1694A is a excellent video and digital cable and works great for analog and sub cables(but very stiff).Belden 1505F is excellent for analog and sub cables(super flexible).But my new favorite analog cable is cryoed Belden 89259 that I got from Take Five Audio.A little stiff but a very smooth and detailed sounding cable.I broke down and purchased the Canare crimp and dies as well as a bunch of bulk cable to experiment with.For a guy who's not into the DIY thing,I found that Bluejean Cables are very reasonable and the service is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks