What's new

Bela Lugosi Presents series starting back up! (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I received a message from Bela Lugosi, Jr. that he is starting back up the series that only had two releases back in 2002. That there will be 2 releases per year of his father's films starting this year and I asked if "One Body Too Many" would be part of the series and he said yes.

For those die-hard Lugosi fans of his lesser known poverty row studio movies, here is your chance again to get authorized high quality versions.

Eric Huffstutler
Richmond, VA

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Eric, did he say when the authorized site will be coming back, and who has he made the deal with for these releases, it's not like this is the Lloyd trust, he owned his films, where Lugosi was merely the star, as much as i would love to see new line take a chance on this, the did such wonderful work, this could be a great set.

wonder what kind of extras we can expect, commentaries, i don't want to hear a constant bashing that this was such a bad choice. I for one am a rabid Lugosi fan, and i have always felt that he was wrongly pigeoned holed, but then i also understand that he came to stardom late in his life, he was willing to do roles that Karloff wouldn't, actually read somewhere that he didn't think it would last, maybe commentary on White zombie, that is why he did the picture, and as a testament, it to this day still tells a better story than half the crap coming out of Hollywood today!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
His secretary at the law firm he works at forwarded a simply 2 sentence message answering my query of if the series would be continued. Not much info at all and took a couple weeks for him to answer back. Sorry I don't have further details.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Do you really think he is aggressively pursuing the acquisition of original elements for these films? In the case of public domain titles, do you think the owners of original materials would be willing to give Lugosi Jr the rights, and then allow access to 35mm nitrate elements?

Or, as he did with DEVIL BAT, will he simply copy someone elses transfer and release it with extras?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Great ? Bob,
i wonder what something like that would cost in real money,just to see actual 35mm nitrate elements, and have the estate take care of what they can.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I would think that Lugosi should have private copies of these films in their family archives as do many actors. Since they are "public domain" now there shouldn't be any problem with him releasing what he wants no matter who originally distributed it.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Eric, I doubt that old Bela was worried about getting prints of his PRC titles while he was trying to kick his habit.

Next time you spend months tracking down elements and producing a video edition of something together that's public domain, give me a call so that I can copy it for my own video label and call it my own.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Is The Devil Bat really a copy of someone else's transfer? I'd heard, for instance, that it's better than the Roan release.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Jim; I haven't personally seen it, but I was told the Lugosi Jr edition is my transfer done for the Lumivision laser disc release back in the mid-90's. Roan copied it, and I suspect many other public domain sellers have as well.

I was the first one to master this film to video from 35mm nitrate elements. All previous releases were taken from 16mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks