What's new

Being the Ricardos (2021) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Nicole Kidman is not the first person I would have thought of to play Lucy. But she is a tremendous talent and has done a lot of great work. I don't see any reason that we shouldn't give her the benefit of the doubt here. If the movie comes out and she doesn't work, I'll say so. But I don't think I've ever seen her in something where I didn't like her work. So I'm certainly interested to see what she does with this.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
About the only actress I can think of who could have pulled off Lucille Ball is Brittany Murphy, before her untimely death. You don't just need to be a great actress, you also need to be a great comedic talent.
I see what you're saying about needing someone that can play comedy but I'd bet that they'll recreate a famous moment from I Love Lucy and the rest will be relatively dramatic acting.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Nicole Kidman is not the first person I would have thought of to play Lucy. But she is a tremendous talent and has done a lot of great work. I don't see any reason that we shouldn't give her the benefit of the doubt here. If the movie comes out and she doesn't work, I'll say so. But I don't think I've ever seen her in something where I didn't like her work. So I'm certainly interested to see what she does with this.
I never actually got to see Bewitched. Which I understand is a comedic vehicle. But just curious, how did she do with that?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
how did she do with that?

I don't know as I never saw that movie either. But I don't think Aaron Sorkin will be making a comedy. If anything, she might have to reenact a scene being taped, but the main part of the movie will be a behind-the-scenes drama about Lucy and Desi's life. That would be on brand for Sorkin. A comedy vehicle would not.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I never actually got to see Bewitched. Which I understand is a comedic vehicle. But just curious, how did she do with that?

I enjoyed it but I'll be upfront. I was never a fan of the TV show, a one joke premise which got old very quickly. Fans of the show may have a different opinion (they usually do ;))

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Deadline has updated their story I originally linked above. I thought this deserved its own post because they've now heard that Nina Arianda will play Vivian Vance, although her deal is not yet closed. It sounds like it is her role but they're just working out the contractual details.

Nina Arianda has had a bunch of parts in a bunch of movies before, but I know her mostly as Carol (Rachel McAdams' character's friend) in Midnight in Paris.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Deadline has updated their story I originally linked above. I thought this deserved its own post because they've now heard that Nina Arianda will play Vivian Vance, although her deal is not yet closed. It sounds like it is her role but they're just working out the contractual details.

Nina Arianda has had a bunch of parts in a bunch of movies before, but I know her mostly as Carol (Rachel McAdams' character's friend) in Midnight in Paris.
Here is Nina Arianda accepting a Tony Award from the late Christopher Plummer in 2012.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here is Nina Arianda accepting a Tony Award from the late Christopher Plummer in 2012.

Nice clip, but her theater work won't make her a familiar name to movie audiences necessarily. Blanchett, Bardem and Simmons carry much more name recognition. I don't mean to disparage her work at all by this remark, just to observe that she is much less of a name in the business as the other three. I have no reason to doubt her abilities though.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I never heard of Arianda before now.

I looked her up on IMDb and she has been in several things I've seen over the years, but never in a big enough role that you would associate the movie with her presence.

The combination of names in other roles, plus the fact that everyone knows what I Love Lucy is, will be enough to draw attention. If she is good in this role, it has the potential to elevate her career to the next level, so good on her for getting it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I looked her up on IMDb and she has been in several things I've seen over the years, but never in a big enough role that you would associate the movie with her presence.

The combination of names in other roles, plus the fact that everyone knows what I Love Lucy is, will be enough to draw attention. If she is good in this role, it has the potential to elevate her career to the next level, so good on her for getting it.
I have no recollection of her name. You cast very well known actors in the other three main parts then cast a relatively unknown actress that's mainly had small parts in films for the fourth major role. It doesn't make sense to me, I just hope she's up for the role as people will be focusing on her and Kidman. One for being an unknown, the other for being too well known in which some think she's wrong for the part.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You cast very well known actors in the other three main parts then cast a relatively unknown actress that's mainly had small parts in films for the fourth major role. It doesn't make sense to me

Perhaps Sorkin simply felt that she is the best person he saw for the role. That makes sense to me. Because they do have name actors (as well as a name writer) in the other roles, it's not like they need Vivian Vance to be played by a famous person in order to sell the movie. He could cast anyone he wants and he did. To me, that's it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Perhaps Sorkin simply felt that she is the best person he saw for the role. That makes sense to me. Because they do have name actors (as well as a name writer) in the other roles, it's not like they need Vivian Vance to be played by a famous person in order to sell the movie. He could cast anyone he wants and he did. To me, that's it.
I'm sure he has his reasons. I'm just saying that I never heard of her so we'll see what happens. TBH, I'm not sure I'm even going to watch this movie. Except for Simmons, I'm not exactly thrilled with any of the cast members. Anyhow, make the movie then I'll see if I want to see it or not. I might be pleasantly surprise with the finished product.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I have no recollection of her name. You cast very well known actors in the other three main parts then cast a relatively unknown actress that's mainly had small parts in films for the fourth major role. It doesn't make sense to me.
It's a supporting role and you don't need "stars" in supporting roles when you have Stars in the leading roles.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
A lot of Stan & Ollie fans might have seen Ms. Arianda playing Mrs. Laurel in the excellent Stan & Ollie film. It's a supporting role, yes, but she makes an impression. Thelma Ritter did the same countless times. Remember Ritter's bit in Miracle in 34th Street?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
A lot of Stan & Ollie fans might have seen Ms. Arianda playing Mrs. Laurel in the excellent Stan & Ollie film. It's a supporting role, yes, but she makes an impression. Thelma Ritter did the same countless times. Remember Ritter's bit in Miracle in 34th Street?
Thelma Ritter in Rear Window!!!!!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks