Being given a car from my Uncle - 1991 Cutlass Cruiser : )

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris PC, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

My 87 year old Uncle no longer drives his older car, so he's giving it to me. Its a 1991 Cutlass Cruiser. Oh yeah baby! The chick magnet! Whoa-Whooo! Its essentially a Vista Cruiser like in the 70's show. 150,000 KM's (93750 miles). Never winter driven. I would love to "pimp" it out. It would be so funny to tint the windows, drop it (or slam it as the cool people say), put on some large rims and low profile tires and give it crazy paint job. Ok, I'm not loaded so I'll stick to tinted windows...heheh. This will mostly sit around and be used on occasion for handy situations and the odd trip. Great for moving things too big for a small car but that don't require a truck.

So anybody have any experience with this car? Its going to be cheap to insure and it'll work for a few years until I get going. I spend too much on home theatre...lol...but seriously. I think this car will be fun to drive. Yes, people will think its a dull stationwagon, but its a free car and with a little sense of humour, it should be fun...Anybody drive one of these? Its a 3.3L V6 so it'll be roughly 23 to 27 MPG average which is not great. Anyways....What sort of reliability am I looking at with this grocery getting soccer mom boat of a car?

[​IMG]

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

O.K.... pimp out a station wagon, that should be interesting.

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Sort of joking about pimping it out. I haven't the money to do that. I may just find some nice looking alloy rims and tint the windows and call it a day.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Anybody know which GM alloy rims will fit on this 91 Cutlass Cruiser?

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

station wagons rule.

7. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

I recommend christening it "The Shaggin' Wagon."

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Sweeet...it could be thought of as a product of the evolution of the Vista Cruiser. My cousin keeps telling me how its easy to actually camp in the car by sleeping in the back...ha ha...when the Cruiser is a rockin, don't come a knockin...heheh [​IMG]

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

10. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

You will usually find dealer/mfg wheels to be very expensive. Try Tirerack.com and see what you can get.

You can put on any wheels that match the bolt pattern and offset. The patterns will be something like 5-100 which means 5 bolts at 100mm spacing and the offset is the inboard/outboard position of the tire in relation to the bolt surface usually in mm.

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Right. Thats what I needed to know. Don't worry, I won't be buying any new rims, but I want to get an idea what fits. I'll check wreckers and car parts sales etc. I just want to nuke the "fake spokes" look of the olds wheel covers. At least the Cutlass doesn't have the wood paneling of the Buick stationwagon version of the car.

I'm sure there is enough room length wise to fit two people side by side in the cars wagon part.

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Well the shaggin waggin has been safetied and the clean air test was done. Had to fix a door handle but otherwise I'll be getting the old girl next week [​IMG]

13. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

just drive the car and enjoy it
    putting all the "bling bling" stuff just gets you noticed by the local police, your wagon, as stock, is about as anonymous as a car can be

14. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I may find a nice face-off CD-MP3 player though [​IMG]

I want to pick up some all season tires to slap on the car for the ride home. I'm bringing it home from Ottawa and it has summer tires on it right now. Its not a great idea to drive it in November without at least all season tires.

What size rims and tires are on this beast?

I'll guess the tires are 205/70/15's.

15. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

My opinion: no matter how much you spend it will still be a 91 Cutlass Cruiser. Take all the $ you were going to spend on wheels and tires and get a killer stereo.

16. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

Whoops, double post [​IMG].

17. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

I'll echo the sentiments of others: save your money, don't pimp an old car. It's the equivalent of painting the rear drum brakes on a Cavalier or putting a spoiler a foot tall on a 92 Accord. If you're into restoring vehicles that's cool. Do it properly and do it with style and class. Kids slapping cheap parts from on a car they barely afford to insure is lame.

Put in a decent stereo and have good times in it. I'm sure you'll log many miles and memories on it.

18. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Please stay in touch with your Uncle. [​IMG]

19. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I'm joking about pimping out the car.

I need all season tires because it comes with summer tires. The wheels/tires are probably 185/70R 14's. Since I need all season tires anyways, I was just going to keep my eyes out for some alloys from another oldsmobile.

I doubt I'll even put in a stereo into it unless I find something really inexpensive. Of course I'll stay in touch with my Uncle [​IMG] I hope that he and my cousin can visit us some time too [​IMG]

20. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Enjoy the car, make sure it runs, but dont go spending tons of money for silly things like $2,000 stereos and what not.

The smart thing to do would be to start saving money for your next car right away.

Hopefully, when you need your next car in a couple years, you can go and buy it outright.

It's what I do. No car payment is fantastic. And you dont have to pay some goons interest.

Interest to me is just a waste of money. It's why I try to buy everything outright if possible.

Stuff such as stereos, tv's, etc., waits until cash can be paid. If no cash, no tv or stereo. End of story.

The freedom of being able to quit a shite job, having money in the bank, etc., will make you feel much better in the long run than any material item will.