Being a kid, getting into trouble with electronics.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Brown, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I remember when I was younger; I was hooking up a VCR in my room. I wanted to put it on my dresser but it was too far from where the cable came out of the wall. I had another coaxial cable that together with the one coming from the wall would make the distance, but I didn’t have a connector to join the two cables together.

I then proceeded to go into the garage and dig up two 75 to 300 ohm adapters (you know the kind that converts 2 wires into coaxial) and used scotch tape to connect both of the 300 ohm ends together. Boom, I now had the makeshift adapter I needed to join the two coaxial cables together. Everything worked fine and it was happily ever after… wrong.

A few days later a white utility van rolled up in front of my house and a guy jumped out holding a device. He said something like, “Yeah, it’s coming from here”. Turns out that the makeshift adapter I put together was screwing up aircraft communications between planes flying overhead and the local airport (We are right under the flight path of the local airport).

I’m still not sure exactly what the technical issues behind it were, but still funny looking back. Just felt like telling a story.

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    So, did the airplane guys offer to buy you a proper adapter? [​IMG]
    Also,

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    WOW. All I ever had flying over my house was the police helicopter. Mainly because the neighbors would call when my brother and I would play with, well...explosives.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

4. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Let me guess Ron, was there a little beer involved first? [​IMG]
    I remember in sunday school once, I was sitting on the floor next to an electrical outlet. I was bored. I unfolded a paper clip and reformed it into a U. Before you think I am just another moron, of course I then ran my newly formed Electrical Rerouting Device through the end of a drinking straw to use as a handle. I then inserted the creation into the outlet.
    Sunday school in the dark is not any more fun than it is in the light. Although the scorched outlet and surrounding wall were a mark of pride for many months to come. [​IMG]

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    [​IMG] Jason.

6. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I found this great army transmitter which I got working that would transmit on everything between .5 and 34 MHz. Generally it would blow the houses circuit breakers after about 5 minutes.... best of all I had the 'tank' mounting bracket.
    never could find the tank to go with it.
    Chris it's fairly easy to triangulate a signal .... I found many people transmitting on the CB radio when I was a kid.
    The harmonics of the vcr was causing enough interference to the FAA that they sent out a van...same reason they ask you to turn of your game boy on flights
    Grant

8. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Jared - That quote was originally in Chris' signature.