Behringer UltraCurve Pro DSP8024 - ROCKS!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier_Huerta, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Maybe some of you will remember my first experience with the Ultracurve DSP8024 from Behringer - I hated the thing's guts.

Well, fast forward two weeks. I finally reprogrammed the EPROM - a very easy task that took maybe 30 seconds. I am stunned by the change - NOW the thing is worth it.

What does the upgrade fix?

+ Turn on / off "THUMP"!
    + Auto-EQ now works correctly.
    + I'm sure lots of other things.

Short story. My equipment is comprised of a Harman Kardon integrated amp, a Sony MiniDisc player and a pair of JBL Control LA speakers, plus a Cerwin Vega! Sensurround passive subwoofer. After upgrading the firmware to V1.3B, I set up the microphone, configured the Ultracurve, and let the dsp do its thing. In about 2 minutes a curve had been created for my speakers. I cut off the boost in the 20-35 hertz region and in the 16-20Khz and proceeded to listen.

Ugly. At least it sounded like that. At first. What was wrong?

Nothing - I was just listening to my speakers the way they were meant to sound. I noticed that my sub - sat ensemble had a tremendous low end boost, due to the positioning of the seating area and the subwoofer. Besides, the main speakers have a lower sensitivity rating than the sub, so the whole thing was a bit misadjusted (to say the least).

The Ultracurve cured all that. Now the sound is natural, real, lean, crisp, and clear. It sounds exactly like my Sennheiser 580 headphones - that good.

I can actually say I went out and listened to my MartinLogan speakers, and found them colored (although they do sound a lot clearer and detailed than the JBLs). I can't believe it. I now enjoy a bit more my cheap mini-monitors than my Martin-Logans.

Maybe I'll buy another Ultracurve with the Digital input option, and connect it to my MartinLogans.

Highly recommended stuff. I'm a happy guy now. ra!

2. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

So... is not for sale anymore??? [​IMG]
    Well, I will have to buy it elswhere [​IMG]
    (of topic) have you listened to Margules gear? You can reply in a private message.

3. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

how many channels can you put through it? Are you eq'ing the mains or sub or all? I am very curious about this and have not come up with a lot of detail when searching.
    Marc

4. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Marc, it's a two channel eq, with 32 bands and a 3 band parametric eq.

Since my setup is pretty basic (passive sub and mini-monitors), it's all connected via my speaker outputs (the sub goes there, a passive x-over filters the signals, and everything is connected to my mini-monitors). Since the sub has higher sensitivity than the speakers, everything sounded wrong until I eq'ed it.

Basically, I get flat frequency response from around 30-16 Khz, since the JBLs can't go any higher.

The Behringer is connected by using the 1/4" jacks (unbalanced) to my tape loop on my amp, just like any eq.

It's a great product - I'm serious about it. I can't think of *anything* I could have done to my system to make it sound like it does now. It does wonders to it. Highly recommended (just remember, ask specifically for Firmware V1.3).

5. Thomas J. Coyle III

Thomas J. Coyle III Stunt Coordinator

Hi Marc_E:
    I have one of the Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro DSP 8024 equalizer/RTAs. They are not bad, but they leave a lot to be desired in their present build quality. Thorsten Loesch at www.enjoythemusic.com wrote a very comprehensive review on the Ultra-Curve. Near the end of the article he made suggestions about improving the build quality of the unit. He even went as far to actually install the improved components. I got the feeling that he was suitably impressed by what the Ultra-Curve can do when properly set up. I am using the Ultra-Curve as a RTA to equalize home theater audio systems. I am using it in conjunction with the TrueAudio TRUERTA software on a PC. I bought the Behringer ECM8000 microphone and a SHARK preamp to work it with the TrueAudio software RTA. I also use it with the Ultra-Curve RTA as it was meant to be used. I agree with Javier that you should do the firmware upgrade. I got mine on ebay for $7.99 postage paid. If you do get one, let us know how you are using it and the results that you get.
    Regards,
    TCIII