Behringer UltraCurve Pro DSP 8024 - my opinion about it (don't get it)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier_Huerta, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

I got it for $200 at zzounds.com. Nice price, I thought, for the luxury of autoroom EQ.

Well, I got it. It sounds nice... until I discover the incredibly loud *thump* noise it makes when switching it in and out of EQ / RTA mode, or when turning it off. I actually blew one of my speakers while trying to perform the autoroom EQ.

"No big deal", I said. "I'll get the speaker fixed. Besides, it was an old one".

Well, I proceeded to the Autoroom EQ. I thought I was doing something wrong. Nope, I wasn't, and the thing wasn't performing its function.

Only later do I learn Firmware 1.2 can't run Auto-EQ. I need to buy a new EPROM from Behringer and have it sent, or I need to buy my own and program it, install it myself, and void the warranty.

Which I don't care about much right now, since I hate the thing's guts and I can't wait to present it as an "expensive gift" to someone who needs an EQ.

Shame on Behringer for producing such worthless piece of equipment. Completely dissatisfied with it.

2. Chris Zell

Chris Zell Stunt Coordinator

I'm confused. I won 3 8024s, and 2 of them are almost a year old. They all work great, and autoroom eq has always worked as advertised. The dealer must have sold you an ancient unit. Are you 100% sure you are using it properly?

BTW, I think they are totally worth it if they are only used as an RTA. Invaluable when setting up equipment. You might want to keep it just for that. One of mine is dedicated as a carry around RTA. Use it all the time at friend's houses, as well as mine when I move stuff around.

Never noticed any thumps. I rutn the volume down when adjusting my equipment, so maybe I wouldn't have heard it.

Cheers,
    Chris

3. Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds Second Unit

Phone Behringer direct. They'll send you the EPROM for free. Installing it is a cinch. As for the thumps, I don't get them on my 8024.

Steve

4. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Oh, I get the "thumps" at turn on and turn off, and they are *Very* loud and powerful. Since it's installed between my pre and amp, it is actually a full-power burst of energy.

As for the firmware thing, I bought the unit last month. I can't believe I was sold an already outdated one. Called Behringer, and they said they'd mail me a new one... but since I live in Mexico, I guess it'll never get here.

It's so unfortunate they couldnt' get the job done right from day one. :grr:

5. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Javier, I sent you a PM. Do you read them?

Was the Behringer easy to import? What about cutoms, taxes and that stuff?

6. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I just got mine from ZZounds as well. Mine also only has Version 1.2 of the firmware. Looks like I'll be hounding Behringer for a new EPROM since they weren't thoughtful enough to include the ability to program the EPROM in the unit (morons).

Seth

7. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter