What's new

Behringer Tube Ultrafex T1954 (1 Viewer)

David Judah

Screenwriter
Has anyone tried one of these from Behringer to add a tube-like sound for two-channel listening? If so, how well does it work?

DJ

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
They work David, and Brett Dimichelle has played around with one. Where they appear to differ from say a tube amp (and I'm speaking in generalities) is that most tube amps have minimimal or no feedback. This tends to increase the output impedance of the unit such that it affects the FR of the amp as a function of the impedance curve of your speakers. Make sense? This unit, or ones similar to it, sit between the amp and preamp and you basically don't have this FR shaping altough you do get the 'warmth' or whatever word you want to apply here.

If you're considering investingating it David, I'd recommend that you head on down to a pro shop like Guitar Center (they're all over the US) as they discount heavily (bargain my good man!), have a fair money back return policy, can provide some pros and cons on the various ones from Behringer, maybe can turn you on to other manufacturers.

Bon appetit!

David Judah

Screenwriter
Thanks for the replies. We don't have a Guitar Center, but do have something similiar(I've been to the Guitar Center in Phoenix).

I think I'll give it a try, after all Christmas is coming. I've explored CD players with tube output sections, but thought this might be a cheap way to see if I even like that even order distortion in the signal chain with my other equipment, as some do(obviously some don't).

DJ

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a plan. You might also consider emailing Behringer if you're tossing around a couple of models in your mind. Usually, they're pretty responsive and if pressed, may be able to give you additional insight into the distortion profile. Know what's funny though David? Those prices are pretty darned inexpensive when one compares them to run-of-the-mill audiophile type offerings. Kind of makes you go hmmmm.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Yes it does even for a guy like me who wants to believe in some of the mysticisms of audio. :)

DJ

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
David, are you thinking of Grandmas in ABQ?

They did (and perhaps still do) have the Behringer line. I was actually very surprised that, after I had bought my Behringer UltrabassPRO from American Musical Supply (mail order), that Grandmas has a stack of them sitting there on the showroom floor.

Failing that, AMS does carry line, as does Musician's Friend, and at very good prices.

BGL

David Judah

Screenwriter
Yes, Grandmas is exactly where I was thinking of, Brian. I head over there every couple of months to have a look around. I bought my BFD, some acoustic foam, and usually I'll get my guitar strings there.

I saw one sitting in the Behringer stack which made me think that someone at the HTF has probably tried one.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks