Behringer Feedback Destroyer - Initial Results

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Stephen Mac, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Stephen Mac

Stephen Mac Auditioning

Hi All,
    After a bit of reading on room / subwoofer interactions, I picked up a BFD from a local Music shop on friday. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours setting up the BDF with my two subs. You can view the results at stephenmacmillan.com/ht/images/bfd_flat.gif As you can see, I had three large humps, while not a 'house curve' yet (a bit more tweaking is required), the BFD has greatly smoothed out the response of my two subs. While the low end slam is still there, the big difference is the increased clarity in the mids to highs as the humps around 56 and 100Hz were muffling the higher frequencies. I never realised this until I heard the difference. You can take the BDF in or out of circuit with the press of a button, so its easy to compare the sound before and after. I'm a newbie with the BDF, but so far the results are very promising. I'll introduce a 'house curve' by raisng the frequencies (reducing my current cuts) < 40Hz when I get some quite time (i.e. wife and kids aren't around). While the BDF has a bit of a learning curve, the snapbug guide is invaluable. I'd really appreciate if any any of the more experienced BFD users had any suggestions on how I could improve my graph further.

cheers,
    Stephen

2. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

The room wizard is worth looking into

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Except for the lack of a house curve, it looks good to me. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Stephen Mac

Stephen Mac Auditioning

Thanks Victor and Wayne, I appreciate the comments. I did at recalibration with my mains last night and as expected I had to increase the sub level +3db so that I was back to running +3db 'hotter' than my mains. Things are really starting to sound good now. Over the weekend I'll play around with a house curve.

Thanks,
    Stephen

5. Stephen Mac

Stephen Mac Auditioning

Well,
    I got a chance to do a bit more tweaking and added a 'house curve' through a different preset on the BDF. I now have a flat response(stephenmacmillan.com/ht/images/bfd_flat.gif) on preset 4 and a 'house curve' (stephenmacmillan.com/ht/images/bfd_subs.gif) on preset 5. Both these graphs are subs only, no mains. You can also view the combined response of both subs and mains (stephenmacmillan.com/ht/images/bfd_subs_mains.gif). All I can say is Wow! While a flat response increase clarity, it lacked a bit of low end authority, adding a 'house curve' has returned that authority with a vengence. Watching LOTR and Star Wars II, I was grinning from ear to ear.
    I really can't recommend a BDF highly enough for anyone wanting to get the most out of their sub(s).

cheers,
    Stephen

6. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

How do you measure your frequency responce to then start tweaking the BFD?

7. Stephen Mac

Stephen Mac Auditioning

Hi Kenneth,
    Using the test tones from the snapbug site and a radio shack analogue SPL meter. I set the meter up in my listening position and then played each of the test tones and recorded the SPL. Using the spreadsheet also on the snapbug site allows you to correct for the inaccuracies in the Radio Shack SPL meter.

cheers,
    Stephen

8. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Also check out room eq wizard. Along with a BFD and a laptop, it can do everything for you from create test tone sweeps, auto set eq, to upload the settings to BFD via midi cable.
    I am just waiting on mu USB soundcard to get going full blast with it.