Behringer Feedback Destroyer (BFD) users?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Lynn Little, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Lynn Little

Lynn Little Stunt Coordinator

I bought a Behringer DSP1124P Feedback Destroyer Pro the other day to equalize my twin SVS 16-46PC+s with. I haven't got around to doing much with it yet, but it seems like one heck of a neat tweak. Anybody use one of these things in their system?

2. MingL

MingL Stunt Coordinator

Yep. Pretty good stuff the BFD. Learning curve is a bit steep, but there is the snapbug webby to guide you throu. Use warble tones are better than pure sine tones.

But once your done with that, the final cherry on top would have to trust your ears.

I've got everything by the book, but realise that ear test would be the final say. This would include running a sweep from >120hz down to 16hz. The whole sweep should sound equally loud to your ears, even thou it seems less than perfect on the graph.

My experience was that it looked really good and flat on the spreadsheet, but somehow, near around 50hz seemed louder than other freq. Readjusted the BFD to cut that slightly by 4db (after some tries) and finally got it to sound smooth throughout the sweep.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

If you search at HTF, but choose the "DIY Advanced Area" there is lots and lots of good stuff.

BGL

5. sonny_b

sonny_b Agent

6. AndyDC

AndyDC Agent

Am I unbalanced?

On thing I don't understand about setup in the manual, the guide referenced above, etc. is the use of "balanced" vs "unbalanced" inputs and outputs. For someone like me who has the usual rca mono out from the receiver and rca stereo inputs to the sub (in my case SVS PB1-ISD), is there a way to use the balanced inputs? Does it matter? What do most people do? (I take it that if you are using mono RCA-to-phono adapters) you are using the unbalanced inputs and outputs.

Thanks

7. sonny_b

sonny_b Agent

You can get rca -> 1/4" adapters at radio shack. I bought the rca->1/4 bettercables off of the SVS website instead. Either way this will enable you to connect to the BFD. If you have balanced XLR in/out's then I would use that from your Pre/Pro -> BFD -> AMP. Just make sure that you push in/out the right line level button depending on the connector you're using.

-sonny

8. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    Can't say I agree with MingL re: using warble instead of sine. I've heard arguments on both sides. I've had the best results with sine. OTOH, I agree with him about a pronounced 50Hz that doesn't show up on the graph or the meter but still sounds way too loud. I haven't adjusted for it yet.

9. click on my sig if you want 1/12th octave test tones as well as a program to help choose BFD corrections (PEQ)

10. AndyDC

AndyDC Agent

Anthony, have you got Radio Shack SPL correction factors for the 1/12 octave tones?

11. MingL

MingL Stunt Coordinator

Warble tones or pure tones? Still no firm answer which is better, but which ever it is, go with the one that gets the job done easily and properly.

12. I have correction factors in the PEQ program.

13. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

MingL,

Warble tones were designed so they don't allow standing waves to build-up adequately in the room (room modes), so they are not very useful as a source measurement for a parametric EQ (whose purpose should be to reduce modal peaks).

Warble tones are useful when you are trying to match the SPL level of two drivers on either side of a crossover, as you tend to get a response that isn't influenced as much by room modes (an example being the sub-to-main crossover frequency).