1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Behringer Feedback Destroyer as crossover?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chris PC, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Front mains are PSB Image 6T. (-3 dB at 32 hz)
    Subwoofer is a Mirage BPS-400. (supposedly 16 or 18 hz - 3 dB)

Just wondering if the BFD can act as both a room/subwoofer matching Parametric EQ AND as a crossover. I know I cannot crossover to my main speakers with it (no highpass), but can I crossover the subwoofer (lowpass) at somewhere between 30 and 80 hz? I know 30 hz sounds too low, but I would like to go through all the options to try to match my subwoofer with my mains running full range.

I would experiment to see what is possible to have the subwoofer literally filling in (or acentuating) only the bottom octave below the mains. I figure I could use the BFD both as an EQ and crossover to reduce the overlap and/or interferance between the front mains and subwoofer down low. Does the BFD have a phase control? Otherwise, I will just try something like the Paradigm X-30. This just for music.

I figure if it is possible to digitally restrict a Mirage BPS-400 to 30 hz and below, perhaps the reduced range would allow extra power focussed down around 16 to 32 hz in room anyways.

thanx

[​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It sounds like what you need is a crossover not a BFD - the X-30 looks like your best bet. There is no x-over function in the BFD, AFAIK, and cutting frequencies above doesn't buy you anything. I don't think a BFD is going to help you operating on just 30Hz and below.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I guess I could use an X-30 and then later, maybe both...an X-30 and a BFD, if I used the subwoofer over 30 hz.