Behringer Feedback Destroyer as crossover?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chris PC, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Front mains are PSB Image 6T. (-3 dB at 32 hz)
    Subwoofer is a Mirage BPS-400. (supposedly 16 or 18 hz - 3 dB)

Just wondering if the BFD can act as both a room/subwoofer matching Parametric EQ AND as a crossover. I know I cannot crossover to my main speakers with it (no highpass), but can I crossover the subwoofer (lowpass) at somewhere between 30 and 80 hz? I know 30 hz sounds too low, but I would like to go through all the options to try to match my subwoofer with my mains running full range.

I would experiment to see what is possible to have the subwoofer literally filling in (or acentuating) only the bottom octave below the mains. I figure I could use the BFD both as an EQ and crossover to reduce the overlap and/or interferance between the front mains and subwoofer down low. Does the BFD have a phase control? Otherwise, I will just try something like the Paradigm X-30. This just for music.

I figure if it is possible to digitally restrict a Mirage BPS-400 to 30 hz and below, perhaps the reduced range would allow extra power focussed down around 16 to 32 hz in room anyways.

thanx

[​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It sounds like what you need is a crossover not a BFD - the X-30 looks like your best bet. There is no x-over function in the BFD, AFAIK, and cutting frequencies above doesn't buy you anything. I don't think a BFD is going to help you operating on just 30Hz and below.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I guess I could use an X-30 and then later, maybe both...an X-30 and a BFD, if I used the subwoofer over 30 hz.