What's new

Behringer Fedback Destroyer Pro (Updated) (1 Viewer)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
True, but you can also use it on your mains if you want, the freq that you can set is just like a 31 band eq but you can the break it down into a 1/60 octav using the fine adjust.

actualy the lowest frequency that you can set a filter for is 20 hz but the effect of that fillter will go lower then 20 hz with a large q factor. the only down side of this is the BFD isn't really for boosting signals more of cutting the certain freq.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
the only down side of this is the BFD isn't really for boosting signals, more of cutting the certain freq.
That's exactly what parametric equalizers are supposed to do, and that is to reduce the volume at certain frequencies. (More precise the better)

Standing waves occur at certain frequencies that couple to the room and cause cancellations or nulls at the listening position. You can't really boost a null because it is simply a cancellation...

To explain... Say you connected 2 speakers that are out of phase that cancel eachother out in the middle. You're not going to increase the volume much just by increasing the volume of both speakers because they will still cancel eachother out.

The best way I can think of to reduce the nulls/dips in bass response is with acoustical room treatments. (Or just make your room anechoic like mine, j/k :D)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
yeah the best accoustic treatment we have in our drom room would have to be the 3/8 inch rug that covers only 80% of the room. hey i am not going to install bass traps, i go no room as it is now

PaulDF

Second Unit
Yeah, Derrick, Allan's pics are kinda dark. Like I said before, it is very shiny, just like on the BFD site. The LED's are also extremely bright.

Holy cow, the thing is nearly empty inside! Lotsa space left over.

Its fun to play with too! I've been getting an idea of what certain frequencies add to the whole, by either cutting or boosting certain freq's temporarily. You can add a +16db boost, with whatever bandwidth, and slide it anywhere you want from 20 hz to 100 hz or 2Khz if you want! :D

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Update to Allen's update!

I spent around 6-7 hours on Saturday setting up my BFD. I really did not have high hopes for the BFD because my room sucks so much acoustically. I also figured it would take weeks of trial and error to get it set up. After the 6-7 hours on Saturday, I can truthfully say that the BFD IS the best $100 dollars I have ever spent on my system, period!

Here are the things I learned:

1. Anthony Gomez's Parametric Equalizer program is a must have! I figured it would probably just be something fun to use and would not be useful in actually setting up the BFD. I quickly learned it is a must have program! It will not give you the exact setting you need for your situation because of your rooms response but it will give you a very good starting point. It is very helpful in visualizing what you are doing! Just for fun, I went ahead and entered ALL 8 filters I had calculated with Anthony's program from my original measurements into my BFD. I know everyone says enter one filter and take measurements again and I eventually did this. I just wanted to see how close the program would get me on the first try. Well it was not perfect by any means, but it also was nowhere as bad as I figured. After doing each filter one at a time and taking measurements again, I would up pretty close to what his program had given me in the first place. Especially with the filter frequencies. I pretty much only had to tweak the gain and width of the filters. I wound up only totally removing 1 of my original filters and adding a different one. Thanks Anthony for a great program!

2. This is a MUST read. I read it several times before I got my BFD. It makes so much more sense when you are actually sitting in front of the BFD.

3. 1/12 octave test tones from 10Hz to 100Hz worked better for me than 1/6 octave test tones from 16Hz to 160Hz.

4. If you make your own test tone CD. Make the tones 10 sec. long. Use a program like Furio to fade the tones in and out by 1 sec. This will keep the speaker from "popping" when a tone starts.

5. Heed the warning about the LOUD thud you will get if you turn the BDF on and off while your sub amp is on. I have not jumped like that is a very long time! ;)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
yeah i leave my BFD on unless i am gone for the weekend, i too notice that huge transeance, shakes the room!

GeorgeS

Grip
That thump is intolerable.

I put the sub amp on 'auto' and turn the receiver on separately after everything else via the surge supressor (we're off the grid so I turn all my equipment OFF, not just mostly off) and it doesn't thump. Shutdown in reverse (receiver first)

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
I am going to leave mine on 24/7. It does not get any hotter than any of my routers/network equipment at work. I figure it should be fine.

rf

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Heed the warning about the LOUD thud you will get if you turn the BDF on and off while your sub amp is on. I have not jumped like that is a very long time!
This can be easily solved with a conditioner that has delayed turn-on circuits, like the old Adcom ACE-515. I think Panamax makes something similar. It delays the amp (sub in this case) for 10 seconds on power-up, and delays the BFD’s turn-off by 30 seconds on power-down.

The bad news – this “fix” will set you back as much as the price of the BFD, or more. :frowning:

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jreich
Recent bookmarks