What's new

Behringer DSP1124P (1 Viewer)

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
Several threads have praised the Behringer Feedback Destroyer (BFD) DSP1124P for taming peaks in subwoofer response due to listening room modes. Here is another one.

My system uses dual SVS 20-39 CS+ subs driven by a Samson 1000. These provided ample bass from the day they were delivered, but I had difficulty calibrating the subs. Despite repeated calibrations, on some music the bass was too pronounced and on other source material bass was too subdued. I often tweaked the bass depending on the material, but was not satisfied with the result.

Using a 200 to 20 Hz scan from the Avia DVD, I confirmed two response peaks below eighty hertz of about 10 db each. After reading numerous posts on this forum regarding acoustic treatments and equalizers to improve bass, I ordered the BFD. Set up was made much easier by the helpful advice on this forum as well as at www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm.

While I have not achieved a flat response below 80 Hz in my listening area, the bass sounds much flatter, tighter and integrates better with my other speakers. There is no longer a need to tweak subwoofer response. The result was almost like getting upgraded subwoofers. The BFD is one of the better investments made in my system considering the modest cost ($120 street price).

Eric Chong

Grip
Mike, I did the same thing after the recommendation from Ned. You probably also want to invest another $150 for the SVS black box and use it as a subsonic filter. I found this helps out tremendously as well.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Glad to hear you've made the discovery. I too found the Snapbug site very helpful. The sine waves are much easier to calib because they are static.

The way I see it, unless you are so incredibly lucky to have a flat response, the BFD and the sub go hand in hand. More important than going from 5.1 to 6/7.1 I'd say.

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
Eric, I also have one of the black boxes from SVS in my system. I agree the subsonic filter is a useful addition to avoid wasting sub amplifier power below 16-20 hz and to minimize the risk of bottoming the subwoofer driver. I also found that the level control of the black box helped me match the desired input level for the BFD.

I use the second sub out from my Rotel 1068 to drive a pair of Buttkickers. The Buttkickers will reproduce the 10 to 20 hz range and there are no room acoustic concerns, so the LFE signal to the tactile transducer amp does not need the BFD processing or subsonic filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks