What's new

Behringer DSP1100P, horribly noisy ? (1 Viewer)

Jones_Rush

Stunt Coordinator
I have searched the internet a bit about the DSP1100,
It seems that it has a VERY BAD reputation among musicians to be a very noisy product with lots of problems. most of the owners use words like : "piece of junk" , "crap" etc..
to describe the dsp1100 performance.
I'm planing to use it strictly as a subwoofer parametric EQ, should I care for it's high noise levels, bad dac's and overall subpar sound quality ?
Do owners of the dsp1100 who use it as a subwooer EQ feel that the bass is not clean enough with it in line?

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Not that the thing is perfect but I think the fact you can't even find one right now speaks for their popularity.
Any links to the bad reviews?
Terry

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Jones:
While you're searching the internet for some sort of comfort, there are dozens of us enjoying the benefits the Behringer has brought to our subs performance.
Dealers literally can't keep them in stock they are selling so fast.
If you're uncomfortable, you should just go with some other brand.
Deane

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
lets face it guys the BFD is a lower end product with a bad rep among the pros, BUT for loved its neat-o eqing feature, it works well for many DIY'ers. i use the ashly 7 band mono parametric with good results, but i got mine used. otherwise it would have been prohibitivly expensive.
the BFD works, and its cheaper than pretty much any other parametric possesing more than 3 bands. THATS why its popular. not because its a truly magical piece of gear. most of the other digitaly processed eq's (like the BFD) cost several fold the bfd's price.
------------------
'Till next time,
Rich (the kite guy)

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
I've yet to see any bad review other than the ground loop hum. Seems to me its mostly opinions from people that have never even used it and have opinions on the manufacturer more so than the 1100P. Have yet to see anyone say anything bad that have owned it, I've mentioned in the past I'd gladly pay $400 plus for this unit, at $150 is a steal about the only thing it doesn't do is sub sonic filtering.
Check here where a UK Pro Audio mag gives it a respectable 82% score. It's just to bad that the full reveiw is not available. http://www.futuremusic.co.uk/FMS01.index.pdf

Jones_Rush

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,
You havn't exactly answered my question.
There is no doubt that room modes have horrible effects on bass quality. Most people would prefer to eliminate them even on the expense of a little added noise.
Is this the case with the BFD?
Owners, do you find it noisy with your sub ?, does it's sound quality has some downgrades ?
Here are some links to some posts made by people regarding the DSP1100. These are definitely not reviews and even not so informative posts, but they show some bad attitude regarding the product which I find a bit disturbing :
(the more disturbing fact is that these were the only posts or opinions that have I found on the internet outside this forum, why are they all bad ?)
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/gen...ges/62240.html
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=dsp1100&lr=&safe=off&scoring=relevance&as_drrb=quick&as_qdr=&as_mind=15&as_minm=8&as_miny=2000&as_maxd=16&as_maxm=3&as_maxy=2001&rnum=8&seld =98897 0272&ic=1
http://groups.google.com/groups?lr=&safe=off&scoring=relevanc e&ic=1&th=879c7ab6c7494109&seekd=944753668#944753668 ]http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22feedb ack+destroyer%22&start=10&lr=&safe=off&scoring=relevance&rnum=11&seld=932783686&ic=1 [/url]
Here is the only positive one which I found:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22feedback+de stroyer%22&start=10&lr=&safe=off&scoring=relevance&rnum=13&seld=991056100&ic=1
I think that all of these posts refer to the feedback destroying capabilities of the BFD and not the manual Parametric EQ capabilities, and I am sure that no one there connected it to a sub. So I think only owners of the BFD which use it with a sub can truly answer my question.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
So I think only owners of the BFD which use it with a sub can truly answer my question.
And they have. The folks here who are using it as a sub EQ seem quite happy with it. If it's noisy, or is less than transparent on the upper ranges, this would not be evident through a sub. That's about all the hand-holding you can expect, but if you want an EQ that might make you sleep better, get a Symetrix 551.
------------------
Link Removed

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Jones:
I read those links you provided and they say nothing about noise. The only one that says much is talking about using it's feedback circuits in a church. The person thinks it cuts the feedback to aggressively and muddies the sound. Who knows? Who cares? That is not what it's used for in sub equalization.
The general consensus on this forum by people who have purchased the unit and used it, is that for it's low cost it is a very good piece of equipment for the purpose we're applying it to, and that is worth more than it costs.
I have put my ear up to my 18" sub with a 1250 watt amplifier with the Behringer on and off and I hear no noise whatsoever. Is it possible there could be something at higher frequencies that I would hear? Who knows, subs don't reproduce higher frequencies. If it works fine on the sub and does the kind of improvement it did for me, that's all I'm interested in.
Deane

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks