What's new

"Behind the Veil" Documentary (1 Viewer)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Has anyone else seen this documentary about life in Afghanistan under Taliban rule? It was done by a female British journalist and a camera man as they cross the border from Pakistan to Afghanistan, then to the Afgahn capital of Kabul, and all the way to where the northern opposition forces are holed up. I was blown away by how gusty this gal was. I know journalists don't rank very high here in the US, but this young woman has my utmost respect and admiration.
I recorded it last night as CNN gave it an "encore presentation," which I guess means they have shown it before. I just can't tell you how emotionally disturbing and gripping this doc was. Definitely worth a look, but be warned - this is not for kids or the weak at heart. This is a some rough stuff.
I know we don't get political here at HTF, so I won't. However, let me just say that this doc helped me to better understand some of the issues surrounding the US's current conflict w/ the Taliban.
Anybody else see this? Any of our British HTF'ers familiar with this doc?
Peace,
DM
------------------
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

GaryEA

Second Unit
Without getting political, I highly recommend anybody who is interested in learning about what life in Taliban-ruled Afghanistan was like before the events on 9/11 should watch this documentary.
Interesting note and perhaps useless trivia; I taped the program days after the 9/11 attack. It was actually a repeat, as it shown only a week or two before the attack.
When I caught another presentation recently, I noticed that CNN had covered the faces of some of the people that were interviewed, which, I'm sure, was to protect them.
Gary
[Edited last by GaryEA on October 09, 2001 at 04:10 PM]

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
It is a very interesting, well-made documentary but at the same time sad and disturbing. I would also recommend it to others.
I also taped a program that CNN made that looks into some events of the September 11 attacks as to whether there were any truth to them (i.e. Satan's face forming from a cloud of smoke, someone riding 80 floors down and surviving the collapse of one of the towers, etc.). Should be an interesting piece.
~Edwin
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780.html#8 http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/006466.html

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Gary - I wondered too about the faces. I heard that the producers of this documentary were having a tough time getting this aired prior ot 9/11. Not anymore.
Edwin - When was or is that program going to be aired?
Peace,
DM
------------------
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."
[Edited last by Dave Miller on October 09, 2001 at 04:47 PM]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Anyone know if these programs are going to be rebroadcast?
Thanks
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The British Journalist's (of Afghan descent) name is Saira Shah and I agree, the parts that I saw were unimaginable. She definitely has a lot of guts in my book. Here's an interview she did at the end of August (before the WTC):
http://www.cnn.com/2001/COMMUNITY/08/24/shah/index.html
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Dave, the other program I was talking about aired about two weeks ago. I'll try and watch it tonight and let you guys know how it is.
Tino, Veil has been shown several times now. They might air it again this weekend.
~Edwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks