Behind the Planet of the Apes the same in the boxset AND the 35th Anniverary?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Floto, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

Sorry if this has been covered before, for some reason I can't get the search function to work at the moment.

I see that the recent 35th Anniversary Edition of PLANET OF THE APES has the documentary Behind the Planet of the Apes included in its supplemental features. Is this the exact same version that was included in the previous (non-anamorphic) Apes boxset? If not, does anyone know the differences?

Thanks!

2. Dewitte

Dewitte Stunt Coordinator

Yes, they both have the same content. The Image disc set of the documentary released about a year after the Evolution box set is also the same.

In fact, just about all of the supplements on the Image disc were incorporated into the 35th Anniversary set.

De

3. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

One exception is the unedited interview with Roddy McDowall that runs well over an hour on the second Image disc. Anyone who has it should hang onto it even if they get the 35th anniversary edition.

The text commentary was interesting though I have never been a fan of this approach. I gave up on the so-called "commentary" with Trundy, Chambers etc. because it's nothing but disjointed recollections that aren't even screen-specific and IMO rank as one of the worst "commentaries" of all time for a film.

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Thanks for the info, I will try and find both dvds then

[​IMG]

5. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

I love text commentaries, there's quite a few I've noticed and enjoyed. The trivia tracks on various MGM SE's, Die Hard's well-researched one is excellent, and the one which started it all - The Abyss. (Ghostbusters' one was subtitled production notes, IIRC.) I'll never knock a text commentary simply by it's delivery medium.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

6. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

So will they be rereleasing the other films as well or is this just special treatment for the one that started it all???

7. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

Thanks! That was the info I needed!

8. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

According to the last Fox Chat, it seems like the answer was that it depends on how well this version sells.