What's new

Beginning to Research New Receiver... (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's another question.

Does anyone still buy fromn Crutchfield? I used to love getting their catalogs back in the '70s and '80s--and their website is great--but I can't personally think of anyone I know who has ordered anything from them since the 80s.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Hhhmmm, Amazon, itself...no longer lists the 2000...I know where Amazon gets them...and the resellers get them from the same place.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Never heard of CPS(read the thread).Many 3rd party warranties, in their fine print...Refund the warranty cost if it can't be fixed(as a technicality, they'll pay to fix, not replace)The better ones (SquareTrade etc) often will only refund your original purchase price...especially if...1. You bought it used(especially eBay)2. Bought it at a severe discount(more than 50% off MSRP)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Mike Frezon said:
Here's another question.

Does anyone still buy fromn Crutchfield? I used to love getting their catalogs back in the '70s and '80s--and their website is great--but I can't personally think of anyone I know who has ordered anything from them since the 80s.
I ordered the Onkyo 606(?) from them about 6 years ago. I ended up returning it as I didn't like its tone. I bought the Yamaha 661 from Best Buy instead.

I had been watching the Yamaha 1020 prices at Crutchfield a while back but hesitated too long when it was on clearance.

I don't know where I'll end up buying the (likely) Yamaha 1040. I hate the Best Buy return policy now which is way too short for complicated electronics unless you're a Premiere member.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Mike Frezon said:
Here's another question.

I haven't bought from crutchfield since back in the day either. I remember getting excited when the new catalog came in the mail ("The new phone book is here!...The new phone book is here!" Well, not as excited as The Jerk was about the new phone book). But they do have good prices on closeout items. And they are one of my go-to sites for product information.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Those catalogs were the bomb! Used to read 'em cover to cover. Wanted one or two of everything.

The purchase of this receiver, meanwhile, is on "hold" as I have entered into negotiations with the wife... :laugh:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike Frezon said:
Those catalogs were the bomb! Used to read 'em cover to cover. Wanted one or two of everything.

The purchase of this receiver, meanwhile, is on "hold" as I have entered into negotiations with the wife... :laugh:
Remember Mike, never use "no", "won't", or "can't". That only eliminates options. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

No problem, Dave. I'll make sure that I won't. Erm..uh... Crap.

Picard-facepalm-animated.gif

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Mike Frezon said:

Oh the good old days...read that thing cover to cover too! I remember me and my brother fighting over the Crutchfield catalog when it came in.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm going to take advantage (i.e. hijack :) ) Mike's thread for a similar question. I might need a new receiver. My Onkyo TX-SR707 is developing the "no sound" problem, and I might need to replace it.
http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/t861p15-tx-sr707-no-sound

I haven't contacted Onkyo yet to see if they will repair it free. But assuming not, what would be a reasonable peer replacement? I need 5.1, four HDMI inputs, one output, OSD. I have Audyssey, but I'm not sure it's really necessary. I don't need Atmos. Airplay (streaming of audio or video from Apple devices) would be a nice upgrade, though not necessary. I bought the 707 on Black Friday sale in 2009 for ~$500, so I'm looking for under $500. I prefer new, but I'll consider a good refurb especially if it brings the price to under $400.

I'm a lifelong Onkyo customer, but their products seem to have killer design flaws that emerge only after warranty is up, but well before you'd expect a quality AVR to die. So I'll look at other brands.

And a re-read of the thread: the Denon E300 and E400 Mike linked to at A4L seem like great choices for me.

Never Mind. Found the sticky thread, and submitting for repair.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There's a lot going on there in that post, Dave...now scratched out! :laugh:

=================================

The negotiations have concluded. The panel of arbitrators has been able to help us arrive at a satisfactory conclusion.

I have just pulled the trigger on a Denon AVR X-2000. It will be under the Christmas tree for me and I will have my set-up fun over the holidays.

I thought I would be making the purchase at accessories for less ($329 + $49 for a 5-year extended warranty). Instead I checked-in at Crutchfield (which had depleted their stock a couple months ago--an example of how you can "overthink" a purchase by doing too much research) and found they had a scratch and dent model in-stock. So, I picked it up for $339 (which includes lifetime Crutchfield support and a three year's manufacturer's warranty).

I figured the "new" receiver with a three year warranty was a better deal than the refurbished model with a five year warranty. I have always found those third-party warranties to be sketchy. I have always been doubtful how easy it would be to collect on one of those if push were ever to come to shove (see the link up in post #27 above).

Many thanks to Sam, Gene and the others for helping me out with this! :thumbsup:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
[color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);][color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]"...negotiations...panel of arbitrators...satisfactory conclusion"[/color][/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);][color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]Boy, a trip to the grocery store must be an interesting experience for the Frezon household![/color][/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);][color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]Congrats on the new Denon 2000. Sounds like you made a smart, calculated business decisi...I mean bagged a new receiver! Hope it works out well for you. Can I assume negotiations will soon commence on replacement speakers? Or will that have to wait for the next Board meeting?[/color][/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);][color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]Anyway, as Tom Petty said..."the waiting is the hardest part". [/color][/color]

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
gene c said:
"...negotiations...panel of arbitrators...satisfactory conclusion"

Boy, a trip to the grocery store must be an interesting experience for the Frezon household!

Congrats on the new Denon 2000. Sounds like you made a smart, calculated business decisi...I mean bagged a new receiver! Hope it works out well for you. Can I assume negotiations will soon commence on replacement speakers? Or will that have to wait for the next Board meeting?

Anyway, as Tom Petty said..."the waiting is the hardest part".
My cousin and her husband are the same way...

2010 Forester with a blown headlight took an hour at the parts store...

"Should we buy two?"

"Why not 1 cheap one?"

"Should they be the same 'output'?"

(My gf and I were with them. Were garage saling. After that torture, my gf was like "thank god neither of us puts up with indecision"...)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have to admiit that I'm kinda the same way sometimes. Funny thing is, the longer I take to make a dicision seems to increase the chances of making the wrong one!. My impulse buys are usually the best ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks