What's new

Beginners DIY sub thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Great thread guys, I rarely venture to this section of the HTF.
It has renewed my interest in building a sub. I was ready to plunk down some serious cash on a new one.
Question, from your experiences in building your own subs, I was curious if a DIY'er can build a sub that will sound musically as good or better then a commercially made one from the better manufactures like REL, B&W, Velodyne and SVS?
My interest in building one would be to save a ton of money and as I am a designer, I can build it to suit my design sense and room. I prefer a traditional box design rather then tube for aesthetic reasons, but I am not set yet. If a tube can be made to sound rich, tight and be subtle for classical music and still slam me in Jurrasic Park, that would be great.
As you can see, my interest is a sub is to sound great for both music of all kinds, to movies for LFE.
Thanks, I will visit often and look to the sights you mentioned above.
Nelson

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
A shame that so many of the links in the list have started to die. Perhaps it's just something temporary in some cases, but many of the links above are no more...
------------------
/Kimmo
whatthahell.gif

"Don't tell me; we're about to go over a huge waterfall?"
"Yep."
"Sharp rocks at the bottom?"
"Most likely."
"Bring it on."

Dan M~

Second Unit
It would be nice to see a listing (tabulated?) of sub drivers and the enclosure designs that have been built for each, with some measurements! Instead of everyone re-inventing the wheel each time a sub is built, a person could look through a table to compare drivers/enclosures/and measured results. Then they could build a tried-an-true design or build their own to add to the list. There is a tremendous amount of sub building info out there, it's just hard to wade through it to get the data you need, and harder to compare the results.
Just a thought for anyone with spare coputer time on their hands...
-Dan

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
For those newbies just tuning in... let me emphasize one post in this thread, the one posted by ThomasW a ways up there:
http://www.snippets.org/ldsg/

"Don't tell me; we're about to go over a huge waterfall?"
"Yep."
"Sharp rocks at the bottom?"
"Most likely."
"Bring it on."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks