What's new

beginner system (1 Viewer)

SammyVJ

Auditioning
I am looking to get my parents a beginner home theater system. I'm a newbie and don't know much about systems and am thinking about getting a complete hometheater system. I am looking for something under $600. The systems I am most interested in is the Sonys:

dav-s500 1-disc 280-watt
dav-c700 5-disc 350-watt
ht-1300d 1-disc 550-watt
ht-5100d 5-disc 550-watt

Each of these fall into my price range. If anyone has any suggestions of other makers I am all ears. My parents are not audiophiles so I am not looking at high end, nor can I since I'm still in school. Any help can be greatly appreciated, I am having a hard time looking for customer reviews of these products.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Sammy.
A lot of people really like the Kenwood HTB-504 or 505 systems. Some of these are on clearance for about $450.
The HTB contains a receiver, 5 speakers and a self-powered sub. Add $150 for a DVD player and you have a complete HT system.
These units also have the advantage that you can later upgrade the DVD player, the speakers, the sub, or the receiver. The problem with the Sony HTB units is they are all-in-one - you must replace the entire system to upgrade any part.
You might also want to check out www.cheaphometheater.com . This site specalizes in budget systems.
Good Luck.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
what bob said...

the 505 is going to be much more flexible than the sony. give it a listen and compare if you can.

i auditioned the 504 and really liked it.

SammyVJ

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice, I am looking to check out systems this weekend. I'm from the Bay Area and was wondering if anyone could give a few store names to check out besides Best Buy and such.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Go to this page, click "Home Theater in a Box / Rack Systems" and enter your zip code. That'll give you nearby stores to check out.
-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks