What's new

Beginner speakers for small space? (1 Viewer)

Hey everyone!

I thought my first post should deal with my issue of selecting the right speaker for my budding HT setup.

I have a limited space to set it up in and since I mostly listen to music(60/40 music, DVD) I´m not currently thinking of purchasing a surround system.

For my reciever I'm looking at the HK avr320 which seems to fit my needs perfectly. Now, what speakers should go with this? Alot of people have recommended me JBL and the N38II's or the s310's look ok but I'm really not too knowledgable about what's out there. For my purposes are towers the way to go or will bookshelfs be just as good?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards:

Viktor A Lundberg

Arvin_C

Agent
Welcome to the forum!

In my experience, since you are looking for just a two channel set-up, I would probably get a tower, for the simple reason the a good tower will, in theory, offer you better bass when compared to a bookshelf using the same drivers. In music, it's all about getting the most accurate and fullest sound, IMO.

There are really, really good bookshelfs out there (like these Totems I've heard at my local dealer...lustful...), but make sure that if you go this route, they go as low as you need them to go.

Good luck!

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Welcome to the Forum, Viktor.

Speakers and listening environment are the two biggest contribuitors to the particular "sound" of any system.

With so many brands of speakers out there, you can see that there's no accounting for taste (or wallet for that matter).

Go and listen to what's out there in your price range. It will narrow down your choices. I'll just drop some brands (no particular order) that sell well and are on the "obtainable price range". There are many others:
JBL, Klipsch, PSB, Paradigm, Energy, Polk, Boston Acoustics, Infinity, Warfedale, B&W, Deftech.

Good luck!

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Viktor,

Welcome to HTF,

I think you will get a better response here if you give more information like room size, How much are you willing to spend, etc.

But the JBL, makes good speaker for the price. And I would consider the studio series. The Northbrige isnt a bad speakers also, but I for me the studio is much better.

Maybe you should consider
S310 or S312, you will have better low frecuencies, or maybe the S38 for fronts (adding a sub could help you out a lot)

And in the future maybe you could add surrounds.
S36 or S26.

And also consider adding a Subwoofer and central speaker (S Center for a complete system), And when you have the complete system, you could consider DVD-A.

Also stick either with Northbrige or Studio, don't mix them, because they have a different timber match.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks