What's new

Beginner Projector Question (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Galvin

Auditioning
General question from a newbie: First some background:

Got a Sony KV27 and Pioneer DV434. Recently popped for some 5.1 sound: Pioneer Elite 35 reciever and a mix of Definitive and Paradigm speakers, and have gotten a taste of home theater. Want to get into a bigger screen for my movies but have a nasty space problem because I want to keep my 27" and the entertainment center for the video games and crappy TV shows where I don't mind the kids messing with it to watch and do stuff.

I think I can be pretty happy with the picture one might get on a $2500-3000 Sony, like a KP51HW40, but don't have the space or aesthetics to take on 35 cubic feet of black box. I have been looking at the $10000 projectors and envisioning a screen that lowers from the ceiling at movie time and a box mounted out of reach of young hands, but I don't make that much money. I assume projectors cost that much to retain clarity for an 8 foot picture (which I don't need), so I get to thinking...

(The big question) If all I want is a picture size and quality that I might get on a 50" 16:9 monitor and I don't mind waiting until dark to watch a movie, then is there a projector out there than can give me that while being in the range of $2500-3000 like I think I am willing to spend.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Good news... You assumed wrong! You can purchase a used CRT projector in the $2.5-$3k range that will produce a great picture w. a 7-8ft screen (wide, not corner to corner). Sony's 127x series and NEC's PG series of projectors are right in that price range. The downside is that you'll need a HTPC or scaler to get the most out of the projector.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
NEC LT-150 is the darling of the digital world- small DLP projector with an excellent picture. $2400- I use mine with a 16x9 screen about 7 feet wide and it works great.

Again- HTPC or scaler needed to properly exploit the potential of the projector.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks