Beginner Projector Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Galvin, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Jeff_Galvin

Jeff_Galvin Auditioning

General question from a newbie: First some background:

Got a Sony KV27 and Pioneer DV434. Recently popped for some 5.1 sound: Pioneer Elite 35 reciever and a mix of Definitive and Paradigm speakers, and have gotten a taste of home theater. Want to get into a bigger screen for my movies but have a nasty space problem because I want to keep my 27" and the entertainment center for the video games and crappy TV shows where I don't mind the kids messing with it to watch and do stuff.

I think I can be pretty happy with the picture one might get on a $2500-3000 Sony, like a KP51HW40, but don't have the space or aesthetics to take on 35 cubic feet of black box. I have been looking at the $10000 projectors and envisioning a screen that lowers from the ceiling at movie time and a box mounted out of reach of young hands, but I don't make that much money. I assume projectors cost that much to retain clarity for an 8 foot picture (which I don't need), so I get to thinking...

(The big question) If all I want is a picture size and quality that I might get on a 50" 16:9 monitor and I don't mind waiting until dark to watch a movie, then is there a projector out there than can give me that while being in the range of $2500-3000 like I think I am willing to spend.

Any and all input is appreciated.

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Good news... You assumed wrong! You can purchase a used CRT projector in the $2.5-$3k range that will produce a great picture w. a 7-8ft screen (wide, not corner to corner). Sony's 127x series and NEC's PG series of projectors are right in that price range. The downside is that you'll need a HTPC or scaler to get the most out of the projector.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

NEC LT-150 is the darling of the digital world- small DLP projector with an excellent picture. $2400- I use mine with a 16x9 screen about 7 feet wide and it works great.

Again- HTPC or scaler needed to properly exploit the potential of the projector.

-V

4. JonathanB

JonathanB Auditioning

Post removed by mod.