Beginner Photography

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ToddS, Apr 14, 2002.

1. ToddS

ToddS Stunt Coordinator

My wife would like to get into photography and I was wondering if any of you could point her to a few websites on the subject and a good place to buy the equiptment. Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Todd

2. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

It's not directed at a beginner photographer but I think your wife will find a lot of useful information at http://www.photo.net/.

3. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Out of curiosity, were you planning to develop the film yourself? Black & white film is very easy to develop, the chemicals are not too expensive and reasonably safe to handle. Developing color film however can become one big biological hazard after another if you're not very careful.

5. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Digital is perhaps the way to go since there is no cost associated with taking manymanymany pics... that is if you have the associated equipment. A simple photo program on a computer makes it all so easy.

I've been an amateur p-grapher for about 20 years, starting out with a full blown Nikon outfit; Now I have a simple little digital.

6. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    Before she even thinks about buying equipment, take a trip to your local public library. I'll bet they have tons of books on photography that she can borrow. In this age of the internet people forget about the value of having a book right in front of you. Also, if she's thinking of getting into film processing, check around and see if your city has something like a "community darkroom" where for a small fee a person can use the equipment for a few hours. This way she can see if she likes doing it without paying for a whole darkroom full of equipment.

7. ToddS

ToddS Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the info. She justs wants to take pictures and drop them off to have them developed. Is there a way to do that with a digital camera, or will she need to get a quality printer and do them herself?

Thanks again

Todd

8. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

9. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

todd -- try www.ofoto.com
    If you shoot film, they'll process it cheap and upload the images to your own private area. I think you can do the same for digital. You then chose which ones you want to print and purchase only those prints. 4x6 are .49, 5x7 .99, etc.. If you only want < 10-15 prints, this would be cheaper than paying to get the whole role developed.