1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Beginner needs help

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DrSpill, Aug 23, 2010.

1. DrSpill

DrSpill Agent

Moris K.
    Hello,

I really know nothing about audio/video: my last two systems I bought were a Bose and a Nakamichi.

In any event, I want to but a new home theater setup and am leaning toward one of the Onkyo HTiB (not sure which model yet). Now my question is "are the Onkyo HTiB systems good value, or can I put together a better system (at similar cost) by buying seperately?"

thanks in advance,

Madhu

http://www.us.onkyo.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Systems

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    A lot of us like the Onkyo HTIBs, because they include a real receiver, that decodes the HD audio formats, usually has plenty of digital inputs, and usually has Audyssey auto calibration feature. The minimum system I'd get would be the HT-S5300, because it comes with a powered subwoofer, and will be better for upgrading later.

The weakest part of all HTIBs is the speakers. They just can't give you real good speakers at an HTIB pricepoint. Again, Onkyo shines a little more here too. The most important part of any system is the speakers. Afterall, they are the sound. Some have said to get an Onkyo receiver and a set of Energy Take 5 speakers. I think those speakers have been discontinued. I'm one that thinks if you buy a receiver, and then speakers that keeps you in the same price range as an HTIB, you've really not done any better than an Onkyo HTIB at all. The good stuff costs though. So, most people will "get by" until they can do better.

To get by, get an Onkyo HTIB. It's a good get by system. If you want a very decent system, I'd go with an Onkyo receiver: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR508-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BEDQQW/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1282580375&sr=1-3 and a good set of speakers and sub: http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

As I said, the good stuff costs, but should last for many years to come, especially the speakers.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Madhu:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure you'll find this is a great place to get the answers to all your HT questions. Good luck with your new system. The Onkyo HTiB systems do have a pretty good reputation around these parts.

It would really help us give you better recommendations if you gave us your budget for the purchase.

4. DrSpill

DrSpill Agent

Moris K.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I'd like to keep the cost around $500 (plus or minus of course). I'm in a "get by" mode for now and would like to get something that would last 5 years or so.

I was pounding the sand at Best Buy a bit (I have $450 in best buy cards), and found a couple of "systems" that looked appealing.

1) A Denon "HTiB" -- A Denon AVR 591 receiver matched with Boston Acoustics MCS 95 .1 speakers for $5 99 (http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5324.asp)

2) A Yamaha "HTiB" -- Yamaha RX-V367 receiver with Yamaha 5.1 system (model YHT-493 BL) for $449.00 (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/hometheater/yht.html?CTID=5000800&CNTYP=PRODUCT)

3) A Best Buy Deal -- A Yamaha RX-V467 Receiver with Klipsch HDT 500 5.1 system for $549.00 (http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/hd-theater-500-overview/)

4) The Onkyo HTS 5300 or 6300. Amazon has it for $399/$549 (respectively), though of course the above three are actually cheaper for me given all the Best Buy cards I have. Though if this is the best system, its not that difficult for me to put my best buy cards on ebay

The best buy manager is setting up each of the above systems to a Blu Ray player so I can see them in action later this week, but what is the consensus on what is the best deal?

Again, I appreciate all the help!!!!

5. Ed Moxley

Ed
    Of the ones you've listed, I'd go with the Denon. Denon makes good stuff, but usually not the easiest to setup and use. Their remotes can be a nightmare too. If you're familiar with surround receivers at all, you should be able to use this system ok.

Of the two Yamahas, I'd go with the one with the RX-V467. It decodes the HD audio and the RX-V367 does not.

If you were spending money, I'd say go with the Onkyo. But, since you're using BB cards, the Denon is your best bet. You should be happy with it.

Good luck!

6. DrSpill

DrSpill Agent

Moris K.
    Thanks for the advice Ed. If I could trouble you for one last time....

So I think I'm going to go with either the Onkyo HT-S6300 or the Denon DHT 591ba.

The both retail for 549.00, and I'm relly stuck between the two. Any parting thoughts?????

thanks again for all your help.

7. Ed Moxley

Ed
    I tend to lean towards Onkyo, personally. You'll see I have Onkyo in my signature. I think Onkyo is easier to setup and use, but as I said before, there's nothing wrong with Denon. Since it's an entry level Denon, and since you want to use your BB cards, the Denon should work well for you. If Denon remote gets to be too much to handle, get a Harmony remote. I'd get one anyhow. They aren't exactly cheap, but worth every penny. Very easy to setup and very wife/girlfriend friendly. To watch a dvd/BD, you push one button. Same thing to watch tv.

If you don't think you can set one up easily, get the Onkyo. If you think you can set one up pretty easy, get the Denon. For these particular models, it's six of one, and a half dozen of the other, being similar in features.

Good luck!