Beginner!! Need help and explanations!!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BenCya, Dec 31, 2004.

1. BenCya

BenCya Auditioning

First of all let me say hi. I am looking to buy a projector for my home theater system and I am completely lost. I would like to know what a good resolution would be for me? I don't need it to be the best on the market or even close to the best, but I would like it to look good for movies and PS2. Would a 800 x 600 resolution be enough or would that look bad? Also what is the diference between Native resolution and Maxium resolution? Thanks for any help.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Ben, go to Projectorcentral.com and read up on all the basics. I have the Infocus X1, which is 800X600, and I love it. I use it for 90% DVD's and 10% HDTV, in 16:9 mode with a 16:9 screen. Do you want LCD or DLP? Do you want native 16:9 or 4:3? If you watch mostly DVD's you should get a 16:9 projector. Read the reviews of the "Highly Recommended Projectors" in your price range.

3. BenCya

BenCya Auditioning

Thanks Jim. I am looking for a DLP becuase everyone says they are the best. I like 16:9, but it doesn't really matter to me at all. Does one have a better picture quality than the other? Thanks for the help!!

P.S I live in Waukesha, WI which is about 15 min. from you. What a small world.

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Hey there neighbor. I have a DLP but I wouldn't say that DLP's are "the best". I bought the X1 after reading many reviews and seeing it for $799 new at Circuit City, with a 14 day trial period and no re-stocking fee. You really should see LCD and DLP in person to see which you prefer. Some people are affected by "rainbows" with DLP projectors.
    If you are, then you can narrow your search to LCD.
    You can view projectors at Flanner's in Brookfield, and American TV in Waukesha. You can view my X1 if you're interested, I have a 106" 16:9, DIY screen, and a DIY ceiling mount. The X1 is discontinued, but there are numerous sites selling it at Google.com.