What's new

Beginner HTPC information (1 Viewer)

eric_thr

Grip
i am looking to learn the basics of capturing video (from multiple sources) and distributing using a dedicated PC. What are some of the best resources to learn? I have a pretty good background with computers.

Thanks in advance.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If you know a lot about computers there's not much you need to learn. Once you get the hardware, you'll be teaching yourself through trial & error. ;)

Hardware:
Canopus ADVC-100 - the easiest to use and very user-friendly. Limited to the DV codec.
Flyvideo 2000 - provides excellent video quality and you can capture to whatever codec you want

Codecs:
Huffyuv - lossless compression codec, once you capture to this you can edit your material over & over with no loss in quality
Xvid - Mpeg-4 derivative which yields the best quality and encoding time of the other MP4 choices
Divx 5x Pro - Most popular MP4 codec but it's not up to par with Xvid. Yields above average quality but encoding time is slow, and it ain't free.
TMPGEnc Plus - Relatively cheap MPEG-2 encoding solution for DVDs

Software:
Adobe Premiere - edits DV video, again the most popular but there are probably better options at a better price now.
DVD-Lab - HTF's favorite DVD making program

* www.doom9.net is a great resource to learn the basics of vidcapping.

eric_thr

Grip
good info, thanks. here is my understanding from your categories, let me know if I missed anything:

- Build computer - got that one
- I need a capture card for each input, 2 satellite dish boxes, one OTA antenna, one external DVD = 4 cards.
- Software to process/view/time shift/manage video streams
- Software for any editing of saved video

Sound complete?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Oooo multiple sources, that puts a spin on things. I use a component switcher (my receiver) to choose which source goes to the HTPC, so it isn't automated. I don't think getting 4 seperate vidcap cards will work. Most capturing software only lets you select 1 card to work from, especially when setting a timer.

Just curious but why would you need 2 Satellite dishes to input into your HTPC? You have DirecTV and Dish Network? I'd just get 1 card, and an S-video switcher.

To put DVD on your computer don't even think about a capture card. Grab a DVD-ROM and use a program to grab each chapter digitally to your HD. If it's for backup purposes this is the only way to go.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The "capture" cards scott outlined are for capturing video for editing/production reason- it is not the best solution for using the computer as a scaling device in real time.

I would suggest reading up on AVS (www.avsforum.com) on time shifting solutions.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
yea very true. I was under the impression you didn't need a scaler but if you do there are better options than the FV2k. The Hauppauge PVR250 and Holo3d come to mind.

eric_thr

Grip
Wanted to manage multiple streams to record two different shows and watch a DVD at the same time. Not necessarily practical....I'll read up on it some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks