What's new

Beginner here, just some very general questions. (1 Viewer)

Jeffreybomb

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Hi all. I'm in my first house and have always wanted a "home theater" type of set-up. Fortunately for me, I've got a basement with plenty of space and can't wait to start building (after taking care of a few other necessary renovations first).

I haven't done a lot of research yet because I don't really know where to start. I think I can take advantage of a projection system because I won't have a problem blacking out the basement. There's space between the rafters in the ceiling, so I was toying with the idea of putting in a retractable screen, too.

I've got a few game systems that I'd eventually like to move into the basement: Xbox 360 and Wii.

Thanks in advance for helping me get my feet wet!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If the room is going to be a dedicated home theater, you may want to reconsider using a retractable screen. Generally, they are way more expensive than wall-mounted screens (or DIY screens) and are much more prone to developing wrinkles/waviness.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Having a dedicated front projection system in a basement was a dream that I had for a long, long time before I finally realized it a few years ago.

Setting up a room takes a lot of planning - but you have to start with the basics, and there's a general order of operations involved.

The first things you'll decide are basic room dimensions, seating distance and speaker location. Decide if 5.1 or 7.1 is best for you, and consult this handy guide by Dolby for recommended speaker placement.

Screen size is dictated by seating distance - the rule of thumb is to sit at about 1.5-2 times the screen width (if two rows of seats are planned, split the difference).

Don't waste time looking at projectors just yet - wait until the room starts coming together. Technologies change and new models come out all the time. Two great resources for research include www.projectorreviews.com and www.projectorcentral.com. The fine folks at www.projectorpeople.com are also a great resource, and I personally recommend them for when the time comes to pull the trigger on a projector. Their prices are good, their service is impeccable.

In a related note, I would strongly suggest you consider a drop ceiling for the theater room. Having access is priceless when it comes to wiring or re-wiring and it will make it easier for you to wait until later in the game to decide on a projector (as opposed to drywalling the ceiling which forces you to know where to drop the video cable beforehand).

Drop ceilings also make it easier for you to do some of the lighting yourself. I installed recessed "can" lights and put them on a $40 Lutron remote-controlled dimmer. It's a nice touch and took all of a day to install myself. I also added a DIY IR repeater system, with the "eye" over the screen at the front of the room (my gear is on the side, right next to the seating position, so aiming the remote was a challenge).

In terms of budget, starting from scratch is tough because it forces you to spread yourself thin to cover all the bases, but you should try putting as large a chunk as possible into the speakers. They have the biggest overall impact on the system's performance. Don't overbuy on the receiver - one that supports the number and type of sources you have is key. THX means little to nothing, and wattage numbers are worthless.

If you're doing a lot of the work yourself, save some $$ and get cables/speaker wire from www.monoprice.com. Don't buy anything with the word "Monster" in the name.

That's just for starters! This forum is great, with lots of helpful folks. Feel free to ask around at any point during the process for thoughts and opinions. Most of all, enjoy the journey. It's a helluva ride!

Jeffreybomb

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks for the great write-up, Jason! Work's been hectic (thankfully), so I haven't had much of a chance to get back and respond. :)

If the room is going to be a dedicated home theater, you may want to reconsider using a retractable screen. Generally, they are way more expensive than wall-mounted screens (or DIY screens) and are much more prone to developing wrinkles/waviness.

And that's why I'm glad there's a forum like this! The room won't be 100% home theater, though I'd like to wire the speakers and work on the furniture to accommodate the setting. I think I'd rather look for a clever way to "conceal" the screen that doesn't rely on it being retractable. I'm sure I'll figure something out. I'm a long ways away yet, but I'll post up some pictures if I think of something.

In a related note, I would strongly suggest you consider a drop ceiling for the theater room. Having access is priceless when it comes to wiring or re-wiring and it will make it easier for you to wait until later in the game to decide on a projector (as opposed to drywalling the ceiling which forces you to know where to drop the video cable beforehand).

Drop ceilings also make it easier for you to do some of the lighting yourself. I installed recessed "can" lights and put them on a $40 Lutron remote-controlled dimmer. It's a nice touch and took all of a day to install myself.

That's definitely going to take some planning. As it stands now, the ceiling (that we'll eventually be replacing) is nailed directly into the rafters of the floor above. Not necessarily a bad thing; I'm 6' 5" and a drop-ceiling would be a little annoying. :)

However, part of the basement beyond is unfinished. I'm thinking I might be able to run some generic plastic piping to help with cabling through the basement ceiling. Other parts of the finished portion of the basement where I'm initially planning to have the system are accessible the same way. The unfinished portion of the basement runs in an "L" shape around the finished portion.

I also added a DIY IR repeater system, with the "eye" over the screen at the front of the room (my gear is on the side, right next to the seating position, so aiming the remote was a challenge).

What?! I had no idea IR repeater systems even existed! I'd love to get my hands on one of those for even my upstairs living room! I've always hated the bulkiness of an entertainment center. I've been looking for ways to store devices in some kind of endtable or cabinet out of the way (and definitely out from under the TV). An IR system would be a huuuge help! Got any recommendations where I can find one?

If you're doing a lot of the work yourself, save some $$ and get cables/speaker wire from www.monoprice.com. Don't buy anything with the word "Monster" in the name.

Yeah, I've been steering clear of Monster products since I began wiring the HDTV and components in my living room. I can't believe how expensive they are! I've picked up a number of cables from Newegg.com. As far as I can tell, their customer reviews are pretty spot-on and I've been happy with what I've received from them.

Thanks for the other segments of your write-up, too. I didn't want to requote them because they were more advice than anything, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the help! I'm definitely going to reference everything you wrote up more than a few times.

I'm looking forward to building a great system!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IR Repeater Info - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=182-860&ctab=13#Tabs

Start with the hub. Add an IR target and the appropriate number of emitters that you need.

http://www.smarthome.com/73101/Applied-Digital-OCELOT-Modular-Home-Control-System/p.aspx

The Ocelot is the next step up. You can add logic to it to react to different commands, play macros, etc. It's like a smart repeater that is only limited by your programming skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks