What's new

Begging for suggestions for good quality bookshelf speakers :) (1 Viewer)

BrianKiser

Grip
Hi, guys.

Due to some space issues in my new uncompleted home theater room, I am going to have to part with my Klipsch KLF-30/KLF-C7 speakers.

Can anyone suggest good quality bookshelf (or at least small-ish) speakers under $800 a pair?

Failing that, any budget speakers ($200 or less) would be appreciated as well. I can get by on decent budget speakers until I can do some research for better quality speakers.

Thanks guys. :)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Brian

If you want some very attractive real wood veneer bookshelf speakers for $219 a pair plus shipping...the AV123 Onix X-Series in White Shadow Maple are an excellent choice...they are sold out until 3/8/07 and for good reason...for about $368 plus shipping...Ascend Acoustics makes a very fine sounding but not as attractive small bookshelf speaker...please check both web sites...there are a lot of other interesting bookshelf speakers that can be had for $800 a pair including the Onix Reference Series bookshelf speakers...and others. Please keep in touch with me.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
For a stylish and well made bookshelf speaker that you would use for mains, I would recommend the JBL L810 (3 way), L820 (4 way) or L830 (3 way). all but the L830 are only 5" deep. the L830 is a true bookshelf. Take a look at the JBL site http://www.jbl.com/home/products/ser...=US&Region=USA
and don't pay attention to the MSRP. I can get much better prices. On another note, for less than 800 bucks, you could get the L820 and match it up with the LC1 or LC2 center which are perfect timbre matches. I have the Studio L line in my office and love them. Hope this helps and if you want to go this way..pm me so I can send you to some reasonable dealers.

Happy Hunting

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Brian

Andrew is right. JBL has been making good quality speakers for a long time. I have a pair of classic JBL L60Ts. They have the original titanium tweeters. They have very nice walnut veneers. Please keep in touch with me as well. We can help you proceed with your speaker purchases.

Best Regards

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The AV123 and JBL reccomendations are good ones (though you may want to do some internet research to get a better deal on the JBLs than most retail stores). A few more to add might be the HTD Level 3 bookshelf, Swans Diva 2.1 bookshelf, or the Swans Diva 4.1 for a smallish-footprint tower speaker.

Brian D H

Second Unit

I second this choice. I own the HTD Level 3s and love them. Great customer service, great sound and price. If you have more of a space problem you can also try the HTD Level 2s since they're smaller, although you'd be giving up the ribbon tweeter for the silk dome (personally I still like them, even with that change). These also have really nice wood veneers.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Brian

I really like the HTD Level 3 Tower.

The 3 inch soft dome midrange is a real advantage as far as I am concerned.

Best Regards

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have some X-LSs right now that I am auditioning and I have to say, so far I am very impressed with these guys. Once I have actually spent some time with them, I will do a writeup. At the $200 price point, I think these guys are going to be hard to beat. I have heard the Ascend 170 and 170SEs and they are excellent speakers as well. I would also highly recommend the Mordaunt Short 902 from www.ac4l.com for $200.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor

My point exactly. I just hooked up my L890s today that were way below MSRD. If interested, I'll show you where you go

BrianKiser

Grip
Thanks for the responses, guys. I just read them, and will be doing some research tonight on the ones you suggested.

I spent today listening to various "semi-budget" speakers. Any thoughts on the Klipsch RB-15? They seemed very nice, compared to other speakers at the local store. I am also interested in Orb Audio's MOD2 satelite system, which seems to be getting unbelievable word-of-mouth, so any thoughts on that are also welcome!

Shane Harg

Second Unit
If you really hate parting with your Klipsch speakers, then I would think it's a no brainer - stick with Klipsch. You can do very well for under $800 with Klipsch bookshelfs.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
I'll agree with most of the above mentioned brands. We have the SVS setup and it rocks but most of the others are great contenders. IMO ID brands are the way to go of course listening to them might be a bit of a hassle which brings me to the next point. There should be a thread set up on all the HT forums for people that are willing to let others in the market listen to thier gear. People could list location and gear used. This way somone looking to audition SVS, Hsu, av123 or any of the other brands could hopefully do so by looking through the list of people.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There used to be a site called AudioEnvy.com which let users willing to audition and those looking for auditions coordinate. Unfortunately it's no longer active. Perhaps if someone started a Google maps pin page and had a thread w/ a link to it made a sticky we could put something similar together for HTF and other forum users.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor

Stephen,
I am still trolling the internet for deals. Do you have any dealers that you know of that may have good prices?

thanks,

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
Von Schweikert VR-1 ..retail is 999.00 pair , Can be had for around 600.00 a pair. Best bookshelf Ive ever had for the price. Dont be fooled by the smallish size as they put out some serious bass to around 45 hz or so. Also looks and build quality are second to none.

http://www.vonschweikert.com/zvr1.htm

Also there easy to drive ! Can be driven with a small tube amp or Mid level reciever if you wanted to.

JaceTheAce

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I'd consider the Energy C series or RC series for that price range. Energy has some amazing sounding speakers for the money.

I own a pair of Energy C-3's. Excellent bookshelves for $350/pair.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
NewEgg has the best deals on the Swans... HTD is the only place you can get the Level 3s... not a lot of online dealers are carrying the JBL L series but some really good deals on them can be found on eBay though some patience may be required.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks