Before You Buy That RPTV, Consider This... The New Sony HS-10 FPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MartinV, Sep 27, 2002.

1. MartinV

MartinV Stunt Coordinator

I was on the road to buying the new Sony 65WV700 RPTV until I heard about this little alternative called Front Projection. Over the last few months I've been educating myself at projectorcentral.com and the AVS Forum. At the same time, I was hearing rumors about a new Sony FPTV that was set to take the home theater market by storm this fall. That model being the Sony HS-10. Well, just yesterday at the CEDIA expo in Minneapolis it became official.
    Read about it...
    http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/2738
    I can't wait to buy this unit. Now all I need to do is find a nice portable screen to go with it. Was thinking about the Da-lite 100" Insta-theater or 108" Fast-fold. Any screen recommendations? Also, what are your thoughts on the upcoming HS-10 and it's chances of taking market share from RPTVs at such a great price point ($3,000 - retail)?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This will make it possible for a lot of people to get into FPTV that had previously thought it was way out of their price range.

Pictures?

3. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Wow. That sounds really great. Oh if I had the $ for this...wouldn't Attack of the Clones and Fellowship look aweseome!

4. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Remember bulb costs and dim rooms. I have a correct room...but I'm getting a rear projection because I plan to give the set to my parents in a year or two.

-ELmO

5. MartinV

MartinV Stunt Coordinator

Here is a link to some pictures of the new Sony HS-10 Front Projector (taken from a Japanese website, converted to english using AltaVista):
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/urltr...p=ja_en&tt=url
    I personally like the style of the unit, but that's just me. What do you guys think?

6. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

It looks very nice. And the price is very cheap compared to other front projectors... I just paid 2499 for a 34 inch Sony Widescreen though.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    elMalloc, why don't you e-mail your equipment list to Parker Clack or Ron Epstein, they will create a list for you and then you can put the link in your signature as many of the other members do. That way, when someone tries to do a search on posts about specific products, it won't pull up your posts by mistake.